My Several Worlds Milestone: 500

Photo by mbgrigby on Flickr
Photo by mbgrigby on Flickr

My Several Worlds reached yet another milestone today. This is post number 500!

I began this literary journey over two years ago to record my travels and adventures as an expat living in Asia. Since then, I’ve traveled down many roads, both in the literal and literary sense.

The act of putting words down on paper began with my first diary, which was given to me by my grandparents back in 1981. (Bumpa and Grandma Louise, thank you!)

I remember the excitement of having my very own lock and key to keep my thoughts safe from prying eyes. As the years progressed, one journal grew into two, and two became four. At this moment, there is a grand total of seventeen journals sitting in my parents’ musty crawlspace in the attic; the story of my life nestled within those pages.

In 2006, I moved my journals online and began blogging. Some folks have ridiculed me for sharing my life online, but I find the process of writing and sharing to be cathartic, and my posts are clearly reaching others who need to see them.

I never dreamed in a million years that I would be doing what I am today. Back then, I was singing full-time and teaching. Now, I’m a member of an incredible Asian blogging community and I have a loyal and ever-growing group of supporters, family and friends who give me nonstop encouragement and advice.

Moreover, I’ve taken my writing to the next level by turning what was once a hobby into a career.

Part of the success I have enjoyed over this past year belongs to you. A sincere and heartfelt thank you to all of you who have journeyed with me.

Carrie Kellenberger in Taiwan
READ:  Photo Moment: My Several Worlds and the Beach

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

28 thoughts on “My Several Worlds Milestone: 500

ChinaMatt

(June 28, 2009 - 2:48 pm)

Congratulations…it takes a lot of effort to make it to 500 posts in only two years. Keep it going and I’ll keep reading.

(June 30, 2009 - 1:27 am)

Hi Matt,
      Thanks! Cool concept you’ve got going there with Terracotta Typewriter. It’s definitely one of a kind!

Ashish

(June 28, 2009 - 3:09 pm)

Wow. Many congratulations Carrie 🙂

(June 30, 2009 - 1:28 am)

Thanks Ashish and sorry we missed you and your beautiful family last weekend in Hukou. We hope to catch up with you soon! Are you doing the Photowalk on the 18th with Craig?

Josh

(June 28, 2009 - 3:36 pm)

Congrats, Carrie! I hope the next 500 will provide just as much fulfillment for you as this career continues to grow.

(June 30, 2009 - 1:31 am)

Hi Josh,
      Thank you! I’ve just started delving into your world over the past few months thanks to stumbleupon. Congratulations to you and Tiffany on your four year anniversary. You are both experiencing so many wonderful adventures together. What’s up for this summer? Do you guys have summer holidays or do you pick up extra work with summer camps?

Fili An

(June 28, 2009 - 7:39 pm)

^_^

Congrats. You’re doing a fantastic job!

(June 30, 2009 - 1:43 am)

A heartfelt thanks to you, Fili. You’ve bailed me out on countless occasions. Thank you!

Nora

(June 28, 2009 - 10:39 pm)

Congratulations, Carrie! I think many of us get into blogging for relatively innocuous reasons, only to realize that it’s fun – and occasionally there’s money to be made too! But mostly – it’s a good time to enjoy some awesome repartee with fellow bloggers. Cheers!

(June 30, 2009 - 1:44 am)

Thanks Nora. I couldn’t have put it better myself. 🙂

krzysztof

(June 29, 2009 - 12:41 am)

I’ve always been impressed by people who create blogs with such passion and determination. Of all blogs I know – your blog is my favourite. Congratulations Carrie. 🙂

(June 30, 2009 - 1:46 am)

Thanks K! I’m so glad we met. I hope my travels bring you to your doorstep some day.

marcus

(June 29, 2009 - 12:45 am)

As everyone has said, congrats on the 5.0.0. i think it would be interesting to unEarth some of those old diaries and post some of the entries up about what you were thinking about at the time. a stroll down memory lane before blogs were blogs if you would…

(July 1, 2009 - 6:57 am)

Thanks Marcus. That’s a really good idea.

Craig Ferguson

(June 29, 2009 - 1:51 am)

Happy 500th Carrie. Here’s to the next 500.

Maurizio

(June 29, 2009 - 2:42 am)

Dear Carrie,
    Congratulations on your prolific and interesting travel writing. I found you via the image you submitted for comment at the Digital Photography School blog and subscribed to MSW because my wife and I recently adopted a toddler from Taiwan and I am always on the lookout for ways to remain connected with that country. I enjoy the diversity of your posts and the way you allow other contributors to provide content. I have started building a travel web site too, although the demands of parenthood are slowing my progress to an abysmal pace. I’ll send you the link, once I am done with it and I wonder whether you might be kind enough to comment on what I am doing and give me a couple of suggestions (if you are not too busy playing with your great-grandchildren, by then)? Congratulations again.
    Kind regards,
    Maurizio (Australia)

(July 1, 2009 - 12:12 pm)

Hi Maurizio,
      Welcome to My Several Worlds and thank you for stopping by. I’ve met some really interesting people thanks to DPS. How old is your little one? I’m really interested in hearing more about the adoption process. I’ve always wanted to adopt, but in all honesty, I’ve always thought it would happen in China. You’ve given me a new avenue to explore here in Taiwan. Please remember to send me your link when you are done with your site. I would be more than happy to drop by and comment. In fact, I’m looking forward to doing so!

Graham

(June 29, 2009 - 5:52 am)

Congrats Carrie! Here’s hoping you enjoy writing the next 500 posts as much as you did the first 500. I’m sure all of us will enjoy reading them just as much, if not more.

(July 1, 2009 - 12:14 pm)

Thanks Graham. Looking back on some of my older posts, I am simply amazed at how far I’ve come and how much we’ve done together. This will be quite a legacy for my children. There have been many times when I’ve wished my parents had kept journals. I think it’s really important to document the roads we travel through life.

Adrian

(June 29, 2009 - 9:53 am)

Hello Carrie, Well done on the ‘Cinquecento’ (500)…Ciao, Adrian

Lilliy

(June 29, 2009 - 2:13 pm)

500!!! Congratulation!!!! well done, I enjoy reading your blog greatly, you will find me hopefully commenting on your next 500.. If your writing I will be reading.

Peder

(June 29, 2009 - 5:33 pm)

Congratulations. It’s been fun to watch this archive evolve over the past year or so, and it’s a beautiful site. Can’t wait to see where the next 500 take you, and I’ll be keen to hear about your other writing ventures!

Anil

(June 29, 2009 - 10:07 pm)

Congratulations on the milestone, here’s a virtual toast to 500 more!

(July 1, 2009 - 12:14 pm)

Thanks Anil. I’m really glad you found MSW and I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on Foxnomad.

joshua samuel brown

(July 3, 2009 - 3:51 pm)

You go girl!
    You have no idea how much you’ve inspired me over the last year.

Come out to the fights on Saturday! Or text me after the BBQ!

(July 10, 2009 - 3:27 pm)

Hi Josh,
      I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that I couldn’t go to the fights with you, but judging by your post and photos on Waakao!, it doesn’t look like you had any troubles finding female companionship.
      For the record, you’ve inspired me on many occasions. Every time I visit your site, I’m in awe of the easy way you have with words. I wish I could write half as well as you do!

ure

(July 21, 2009 - 12:02 am)

Congrats! I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work…