Poutine: A Canadian Snacking Tradition

Poutine: Thick-cut french fries deep-fried to a crispy golden brown color and a handful of fresh cheese curds that has been smothered in rich brown gravy is a snack that is often looked down upon by most people, until they try it of course.

Even my husband scoffed when I mentioned this French Canadian side dish which comes loaded with flavor (and calories). He ate his words after his first bite and gained five pounds from having poutine every day on our first trip home to Canada together.

In my hometown of Carleton Place, poutine can be found on any restaurant menu, and if the urge for poutine should hit while you’re driving, you’ll also find plenty of chip trucks and chip shops in the vicinity to meet your snack attack.

Poutine is one of the things I look forward to eating when I come home, and this year, I had the added pleasure of introducing two British friends to the wonderful world of poutine.

My favorite chip shop is Woody’s on Highway 7 on the way to Perth. People come from miles around for the poutine, and when I told the owner that they’re most recent guests had recently come from England and Taiwan, they were suitably impressed.

My wanderfood adventures have taken me to the other side of the world in the Great White North this summer. If you’re interested in reading more global foodie tales, stop by Wanderfood Wednesday over at Wanderlust and Lipstick.

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

10 thoughts on “Poutine: A Canadian Snacking Tradition

Lilliy K.

(July 28, 2010 - 5:48 pm)

OMG I forgot all about poutine since I moved to Jeddah till I saw this post. It is delicious and yes! loads of calories its scary. But I love it. I had a friend also that was opssessed with poutine. Every time she was post on call in the hospital she had to get poutine as her major comfort food on her way home. She was the one that got me hooked on it, they even made in at McDonald’s in Montreal.
    .-= Lilliy K.´s last blog ..The Roman Bath Perge Turkey =-.

The Jetpacker

(July 29, 2010 - 12:41 am)

I wasn’t a big fan of poutine, but that might have something to do with my dislike of gravy in general.

Brown liquid is never a good thing.
    .-= The Jetpacker´s last blog ..The World’s Most Expensive Hot Dog Unveiled =-.

(August 6, 2010 - 9:59 pm)

The Jetpacker,

I think poutine is one of those dishes that you’ll either love or hate. There doesn’t seem to be an in-between. When I mention poutine to my friends, they think it sounds disgusting, but once they’ve tried it, they usually become converts. 🙂

Stevo

(July 29, 2010 - 2:29 am)

Stop it! I miss poutine sooooo much. I’d give my eye teeth for a giant bowl of cheesy-gravy-heart-attackish fries.
    .-= Stevo´s last blog ..Stevo and Asian models in Shanghai =-.

(August 6, 2010 - 9:58 pm)

No worries, Stevo. I’ll be sure to have one or two in your honor. he he.

kim

(July 29, 2010 - 1:56 pm)

I could enjoy the cheese part but gravy isn’t my thing. I would still try poutine, I’ve heard of it before and am curious. I am severely biased when it comes to fries though, being Belgian (land of the perfect fries! :D) I’ve a set mind on how they have to be done and what goes on top (mayo of course). What we do have in common is that the highway places usually serve really great versions. Stopping for late night snacks there is the best indulgence after a long roadtrip/night out.

Wanderluster

(July 29, 2010 - 6:57 pm)

Poutine while driving — be careful! 🙂 It’s great that you’ve been able to introduce friends and family from other countries to a French Canadian specialty.

Celisa

(July 29, 2010 - 7:19 pm)

Wow I’ve got to try that out! Sometimes one is deserving of a little treat even though I’m trying to watch my figure!

sjr

(July 30, 2010 - 11:15 pm)

Great hangover food no?. : -P

[…] courtesy of Globe and Mail, Carrie@My Several Worlds, open rice, Ulrike Rodrigues, and sashamd] AKPC_IDS += "2837,"; Share and […]