Travel Philippines: Palawan Butterfly Garden

Still

Palawan Butterfly Garden

In the backyard of a tiny cottage just a twenty minute drive outside the capital city of Puerto Princesa, Palawan, lies the Palawan Butterfly Garden.

Visitors who have a little time to spare in Puerto Princesa might find a morning jaunt to view the garden’s beautiful inhabitants a nice way to spend the morning.

The garden is enclosed with a net that houses several dozen butterflies and moths that are native to Palawan and to other parts of Southeast Asia.

There are a few small pebbled walking trails and lots of flowers and shrubbery in the enclosure, and with the sunlight streaming down and butterflies dancing above your head, the whole experience is rather enchanting.

It’s true that some people might not find this garden much to look at. It is small, but it didn’t fail to delight either me or my husband. Judging from the happy smiles and delighted eyes of the school children who were finished their tour as we arrived, I’d say that they would agree with me.

The many charms and hidden gems in Puerto Princesa are often overlooked by tourists in their haste to get to Palawan’s other big draw cards, such as the Underground River in Sabang, the beaches of Honda Bay, and the numerous hiking trails within and around the city proper.

But if you do find yourself needing a day out of the sun, the butterfly garden definitely counts as a sweet way to spend 30 minutes or so, especially if you’re traveling with kids.

There are other local attractions located nearby; the drive to the garden is scenic, and chasing beautiful butterflies is more entertaining than you might think.

Mates

READ:  Taiwan Travel: Baishawan Beach

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

16 thoughts on “Travel Philippines: Palawan Butterfly Garden

SpunkyGirl

(April 12, 2010 - 3:23 pm)

Beautiful shots! I love walking through butterfly gardens. There are so many different species, and they are all so beautiful!
    .-= SpunkyGirl´s last blog ..Nominate Your Favorite USA Hostel =-.

(April 13, 2010 - 1:15 pm)

Thanks everyone. I never miss a chance to hit up local parks and gardens while I’m on the road. I’m lucky that my husband allows me to indulge. It isn’t exactly his cup of tea, but those are the sacrifices you make when you travel as a couple. 🙂

JoAnna

(April 12, 2010 - 3:29 pm)

Gorgeous! It looks like a beautiful place to relax!

Nancie (Ladyexpat)

(April 13, 2010 - 6:37 am)

Gorgeous photos Carrie. I always love visiting the various parks in SEA. They all have something beautiful to offer.
    .-= Nancie (Ladyexpat)´s last blog ..Friday’s Talking Photo #7 from the Sandbox –Cherry Blossoms in Korea =-.

Patrick Cowsill

(April 13, 2010 - 10:52 am)

A trip to Palawan is what I need. I suppose I’d have to get there in a hurry as the rainy season is just around the corner. You’ve put up some lovely shots here, Carrie.

Oh my gosh, these photos are so beautiful! These types of attractions never appealed to me, but you’ve changed my mind. Group trip to the Philippines it sounds like.
    .-= Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences´s last blog ..What to do when you want to see on vacation is closed? =-.

(April 15, 2010 - 8:01 am)

Thanks Andy. This garden is really small, but it’s a nice diversion if you have some time. Puerto Princesa gets top marks from me for being clean and green. Are you heading to the Philippines with a large group of people?

kim

(April 15, 2010 - 7:14 am)

I’ve been to a butterfly garden when I was a kid, on holiday in France I think. I loved it!
    Spring seems to be in the air all around the web it seems, the other week I read about a butterfly garden in Michigan on another blog I follow (http://selectivepotential.blogspot.com/2010/03/butterflies-are-blooming.html)

(April 15, 2010 - 8:03 am)

Ooh. Great photos and a super-nice blog. Thanks for the suggestion, Kim!

Sonya

(April 16, 2010 - 6:43 am)

Beautiful post! What a lovely idea – a butterfly garden! Thanks so much, I’m always inspired after I visit My Several Worlds.
    .-= Sonya´s last blog ..5 Awesome Mountain Photos =-.

Erica

(April 18, 2010 - 3:17 pm)

This reminds me of when I chased butterflies as a kid. We used to run after them and wait until they landed on a flower to admire their colourful wings. Would love to visit a butterly garden. Looks gorgeous!
    .-= Erica ´s last blog ..Georgia to Maine On the Appalachian Trail =-.

(April 22, 2010 - 3:06 am)

Hi Erica,

I’ve always dreamed of having my own little flower shop when I retire. Providing I don’t have to go through cold and blustery North American winters, I think the addition of an enclosed butterfly garden would make things just about perfect. I can’t think of anything nicer. 🙂

Lilia Cornelio

(May 3, 2010 - 2:14 pm)

Gorgeous photos! I agree with you that most of the botanical gardens and farms are skipped by tourist since they find it more exciting to check out adventure tourism. I like the fact that Puerto Prinsesa tries to be an eco-friendly city. Have you tried the e-trikes?

Wildlife Tours

(August 4, 2010 - 9:21 am)

Amazing photographs, did you use a macro lens? Butterfly gardens are such a great place to walk around!

(August 27, 2010 - 11:22 am)

I used a Canon 17-85mm lens for these photos.

helen sigua

(November 3, 2010 - 12:27 pm)

your shots captured so vividly the butterflies that we missed when we went there in the afternoon and it was being renovated…thanks! my family is now back home and we are just too inspired to make a similar enclosed butterfly garden right here in our home…