Coco Loco Island Beach Vacation in the Philippines

For island beach vacations, you can’t beat Coco Loco Island Resort in Roxas, Philippines. John and I traveled to the Philippines over Chinese New Year and ended up spending Valentine’s Day on this beautiful tropical island in Palawan.

Coco Loco Express

Coco Loco

Our island experience came complete with a silky-white fine sandy beach, clear turquoise water, gently swaying palm trees, and picturesque beach bungalows each with its own hammock. We could see schools of colorful fish and coral right over the side of the boat. We couldn’t wait to grab a snorkel, mask, and fins and slip into the water.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the entire staff and within minutes we were seated in front of the water with two fresh coconuts to sip on and a delicious meal of fresh shrimp sautéed in butter and garlic.

Our Bungalow

After our meal, we were shown to our beachfront bungalow. The bungalows are spartan, but clean. Our sun deck was shaded and we were pleased to that there was enough space for both of us to read in the shade. Neither of us like to lay out in the sun and we knew we’d be gracing our front deck for most of the next day.

Yum!

That evening we dined on another meal of fresh seafood. Each morning we rose with the sun and had breakfast on the beach. At night, we dined under the stars in the cool ocean breeze. We really enjoyed the food over the course of our stay. They even put on a special Valentine’s Day buffet dinner with a roasted pig. It was good, but the sticky-sweet caramelized banana sticks were my favorite. Did I mention the price per night also includes three meals per day?

READ:  Taiwan Bike Trip 2007 - Reflections on Traveling Taiwan

Picturesque

My Idea of Heaven

Coco Island Resort is also a popular dive site. I’m not able to dive because of my ears, but I wasn’t too disappointed this time around. The snorkeling at Coco Loco is some of the best I’ve had in Asia. We spent hours in the water swimming with the fish and searching for conch shells. There are a number of activities on offer. Boat tours, sea kayaking, wind surfing, and snorkeling are just a few. Email Jpr@palawantourist.com for more information.

John and I spent most of our time reading in the shade, snorkeling, or playing chess. At sunset, we’d go for a walk around the island. It should take about 20 minutes to circumnavigate, but we got distracted by the tide pools containing starfish, crabs, shells, and sand as far as the eye can see. When the tide moves out, it’s a grand thing. It’s like a whole new island to explore.

Tide's Out

I Wish I Were I Starfish

Sunset

My Leetle Friend

My Several Worlds

Pretty as a Postcard

I was sad to learn that Coco Loco Island Resort only has a year left on its lease and then it will be closing for good. We were told the owner is rebuilding on another nearby island and we are certainly interested in coming back to check out the new Coco Loco.

How to get there:

• Take a trishaw from Puerto Princesa airport to the Puerto Princesa bus station.
  • From here, you’ll have two options of travel. You can take a mini-van to Roxas for 500 pesos per person. The journey takes about an hour and a half or you can also take the local bus. Prices per person tend to fluctuate depending on the bus driver. Don’t pay more than 150 pesos.
  • Arrival time depends on how many people the driver drops off and picks up along the way. We made it to Roxas in just under three hours.
  • From the Roxas bus station, hire a trishaw driver to take you the Coco Loco main office at the pier.
  • At the pier, you’ll be able to catch the island’s private boat. The journey to Coco Loco takes about 45 minutes.
READ:  The Fullerton Hotel: Singapore's Luxury Boutique Hotel

www.palawan.com

Sandy Love

21 thoughts on “Coco Loco Island Beach Vacation in the Philippines

JoAnna

(March 21, 2010 - 10:01 pm)

Wow Carrie! This place is absolutely stunning! There is NO ONE on that beach! Such a shame it will be closing.

(March 26, 2010 - 8:13 am)

Thanks JoAnna. I’m glad you like it. From what I was told, the government will be redeveloping the island now that the lease it up. You should still be able to go. Just don’t expect Coco Loco. 🙂

Australian Beach Vacations

(March 22, 2010 - 8:48 am)

This is very nice post and photos that you have uploaded i.e very great! I have heard about the Coco Loco Island Beach for spending great vacation in phlippines, But I never gone for my vacation, When I see you pictures I am thinking about planning for my vacation in Philippines.
    .-= Australian Beach Vacations´s last blog ..Birding in Tiritiri Matangi New Zealand =-.

Kim

(March 22, 2010 - 12:48 pm)

The place sounds so relaxing, I could use a vacation there too.
    When I was a kid my family always spent summer holidays at Coco Loco too – the camping site on the Spanish Costa Brava that is 🙂

Jason of Two Backpackers

(March 22, 2010 - 2:45 pm)

Awesome stunning beach photos! We love beaches like this. No many people, a natural setting and plenty of ocean life to see. Thanks for providing all the information Carrie.
    .-= Jason of Two Backpackers´s last blog ..Photo of the Day: A Road to Nowhere in San Pedro de Atacama =-.

jessiev

(March 22, 2010 - 2:54 pm)

OH!! i wish they weren’t closing. this sounds like the PERFECT place for us. thanks for the great review!!
    .-= jessiev´s last blog ..Photo of the Week March 22, 2010 =-.

Erica

(March 22, 2010 - 3:13 pm)

Coco Island Resort and the area around it look amazing. Good for you that you had the opportunity to visit before they’re shutting down. I love the photo of the heart in the sand!

Aly

(March 22, 2010 - 3:58 pm)

Sounds like you had a great vacation! I think if you were patient you would find a lot of little resorts like Coco Loco in the Philippines. (Patience because getting to some of them is an adventure in it’s self!) I remember going to one just north of Cebu and it was on a tiny little island with a small village and a small resort much like Coco-Loco, where it seemed you could spend all day doing nothing and still have the time of your life 🙂
    .-= Aly´s last blog ..Andalusia – A Stroll Down Memory Lane =-.

(March 26, 2010 - 8:41 am)

Aly,

We did, but it wasn’t nearly long enough. We’re already counting down until our next Philippines vacation.

Vera Marie Badertscher

(March 23, 2010 - 2:04 am)

Great pictures and descriptions. You really took me there. Which is a good thing, since it’s closing and I won’t be able to go myself!
    .-= Vera Marie Badertscher´s last blog ..New Photo Book Travels Iran in 1956 =-.

(March 26, 2010 - 8:40 am)

Thanks everyone. I’m happy that you enjoyed my photos.

Anil

(March 23, 2010 - 1:17 pm)

I love the Philippines and am still waiting for it to blow up as the next big tourist destination – although there don’t seem to be many signs pointing to that happening soon. That’s a good thing though for everyone else who wants a beautiful, quiet beach 😉

Travelogged

(March 24, 2010 - 6:08 pm)

Great post — feel like I’m there!
    .-= Travelogged´s last blog ..Nottingham 101: Is There a Real Robin Hood? =-.

John

(April 20, 2010 - 1:02 am)

Wow! Coco Islands the Philippines, great location. I havent been there in ages! Beautiful resort, and really relaxing.

-John

New Orleans Attorney

(June 10, 2010 - 7:18 pm)

Looks like the perfect place for a vacation spot. Thanks for sharing these excellent photos.

eduard bustamante ll

(July 6, 2010 - 3:52 am)

i live in roxas,near cocoloco island,the island is very beautiful and quiet,you can relax in that island.

Derek Doyle

(July 11, 2010 - 8:19 pm)

I have been holidaying on Coco Loco for the last 15 years and never lost the attraction it holds for me. The staff or should I say team are magnificent as they do so much to make u feel at home and welcome.! Felix and his team have become very personal friends together will all the people we have met there over the years, not omitting Bobby and his lovely wife Pascal . I hope the new Coco Loco will have even more attraction and every good wish in the new venture.!! I have no doubts that Felix and crew will make it just as good if not better than the present islet. Best regard to all !!Oh almost forgot Peter!! Will see u all in January,
    Derek,
    Ballyshannon,
    Co Donegal
    Ireland

William K Wallace

(October 9, 2010 - 10:03 pm)

Looks like a truly beautiful place to be, I think if I ever visit Coco Loco Island I wont want to leave.

Sebastian Zimmermann

(February 1, 2011 - 4:43 pm)

wow that looks just great. does anyone know when exactly they are closing the resort? I was thinking about going there in late April 2011 and really hope that it is still open.
    Keep on the great travel posts..

Greetings, Sebastian

Nate B

(March 15, 2011 - 8:44 pm)

Wow great pictures great descriptions you make me want to pack up and leave NOW!

virgo itinerary

(May 15, 2011 - 10:57 pm)

yehey! I’m proud of it coz I’m from the Philippines. I hope one day people around the world will realize how beautiful our country is. We’re just not getting the right marketing.Our countryside is actually a lot better than the capital city of Manila