Wangan Island, Penghu, Taiwan

Wangan Island, Penghu, Taiwan

The view from Wangan Island in the Penghu Islands, Taiwan. Wangan Island in the Penghu Archipelago is only accessible by boat. It is the fourth largest island in the Penghu Archipelago, and it is always a highlight for visitors that travel to Penghu. It is also home to one of the best traditional fishing villages in Taiwan, as well as being home to the green sea turtle, an endangered species of turtles that come here to lay their eggs during nesting season. The best way to see the island is by scooter or on foot.

The west side of the island is home to Zhongshe Historic Village, which dates back to between 200 and 300 years ago. Most of the homes in the village have been abandoned, which is likely why the village has retained its original dynastic layout.

You can find the Wangan Green Sea Turtle Conservation Center just north of the ferry pier. The beaches of Wangan provide the only nesting sites in Penghu where greens sea turtles come to lay their eggs each year. The turtles usually mate in March and April, and then crawl onto the southwestern beaches on Wangan in May and June to lay their eggs.

READ:  Photo Moment: Viva la Villa!

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

8 thoughts on “Wangan Island, Penghu, Taiwan

Catherine

(September 22, 2009 - 1:24 pm)

That’s gorgeous! I hope I’ll be able to visit Penghu soon, I’ve heard so many great things about it.

(September 28, 2009 - 1:36 am)

Thanks Catherine. High winds set in in mid-October, but right now is the perfect time to go!

WildBlack

(October 16, 2009 - 11:09 am)

Beautiful!!!! Carrie, I really missed your photography! Glad you are back into posting cool photos. How is your new job going?
    .-= WildBlack´s last blog ..For Jeep Lovers! =-.

(October 27, 2009 - 2:51 pm)

Hi Nivin,

I’m working on it. Haven’t had much of an opportunity lately, but I’m trying. The new job is keeping me rather busy, as I’m sure you can tell by the length of time it took for me to reply to your comment!

jenny

(October 18, 2010 - 6:35 am)

hi Carrie.. the picture is really awesome.. i am wondering how can i travel to penghu from taipei?

(October 18, 2010 - 8:56 am)

Jenny,

You can book a flight to Penghu from Songshan Aiport in Taipei. You can also make the trip by ferry in Kaohsiung.

Paul Kenyon

(November 21, 2012 - 11:02 pm)

Hi Carrie.

I’m heading to Wangan this morning to find the lone geocache (geocaching.com) in the Panghu archipelago.

I was looking for other things to do there and came across your photo. If you get this in the next 45 minutes, however unlikely that is, I’d be delighted with your suggestions.

Paul

(November 22, 2012 - 8:29 am)

Hi Paul,

I hope I’m not too late with my response. Wangan is a relatively small island. You can circumnavigate it in about 40 minutes. If you’ve got time, rent a scooter at the docks when you arrive and take your time driving along the coastline. Follow the signs and head inland to see an ancient village with its traditional coral-stone cottages. There’s also a sea turtle conservatory on the island, where you can learn about the green sea turtles that come to the protected beaches on the island every year to lay their eggs.