Travel Singapore: The Singapore Zoo Photo Essay

Grey-Crowned Crane

I’ve never been a big fan of zoos, so when I say that you should include a trip to the Singapore Zoo, I really mean it. I’ve been to several zoos, but this one is truly a special zoo. There’s a reason why it’s known all over the world.

The 28 hectare open zoo concept is set in a rain forest environment. The animals live in beautiful, spacious landscaped enclosures, which are separated by deep moats to keep visitors safe. There are 315 species in the zoo, with 2530 specimens at last count. 16% of the animals living in the zoo are threatened species.

The Singapore Zoo has earned a number of prestigious awards since its opening in 1973. In 2008, it was awarded a Michelin 3-star rating. It has also received Singapore Tourism Bureau awards each year, including awards for Best Leisure Attraction Experience of the Year 2008 and Top 10 Best Family Experiences (Jungle Breakfast at Singapore Zoo).

We spent most of the day at the zoo, and I can honestly say that it was one of the nicest days I spent in Singapore. It’s big and clean, and the weather was just perfect that day. It was like the animals knew we were coming, and were ready to put on a show. Have a look at some of my photos from that day and let me know what you think!

The zoo is open from 8:30am to 6:00pm daily. Tickets are S$18.00 for adults and S$9.00 for kids between the ages of 3 to 12 years old. Tram tickets can also be purchased at S$5.00 for adults and S$2.50 for children. The tram ride covers 2.2km. There is no limit to the number of rides within the park.

Sleepy Kitten

White Tigers

Flamingo Party

Melancholy

Lazy Lions

Butterfly

READ:  Mahjong Chocolates at the Taipei International Bakery Show

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

14 thoughts on “Travel Singapore: The Singapore Zoo Photo Essay

Steve

(August 10, 2009 - 1:13 am)

Some lovely photos, Carrie. It looks like quite the place. Is Singapore’s reputation for being expensive justified? How does it compare, price wise, to Hong Kong or Taipei?

(August 21, 2009 - 10:02 am)

Thanks Steve. There’s no comparison. An entrance ticket to the Taipei zoo costs NT$60 ($2US), but it’s an old zoo that is showing signs of wear and tear. I’d love to see them charge a bit more and put the money into making the zoo a nicer place for both visitors and animals. Some of the exhibits are pretty sad-looking. The Singapore Zoo might be expensive, but it’s modern, it’s immaculate and the animals have a very comfortable living environment. I haven’t been to the zoo in HK. Fili might know the answer to that one.

Allen Nyhuis

(August 10, 2009 - 1:32 am)

I’ve been to over 210 zoos in my lifetime, but I haven’t yet been to Singapore or its great, great zoo. This zoo is near the very top of my list of zoos I most want to visit, however. I’ve heard SO many good things about it.

Allen Nyhuis, Coauthor: America’s Best Zoos

(August 21, 2009 - 10:03 am)

Well then, Allen. You are in for a treat!

ZQ | Travel Blog

(August 10, 2009 - 3:37 pm)

Hi Carrie

Great pictures.. its been a long time since I have been to the Singapore Zoo (BTW I am Singaporean). Perhaps its time to get my photography geek friends for a trip for some animal shooting (in the camera sense :-)) – can add to my Saturday specials at my blog.

Thanks
    ZQ

(August 21, 2009 - 10:12 am)

Hi ZQ,

I wish I’d found your blog before I went to Singapore. However, I’m quite certain we’ll be back within the year. We loved the city and found plenty to keep us entertained.

Eve White

(August 10, 2009 - 7:24 pm)

Absolutely amazing pics. Thank you for sharing.

(August 21, 2009 - 10:13 am)

Thanks Eve. I’m glad you enjoyed them.

kim

(August 17, 2009 - 9:14 am)

This looks wonderful! I’m have a membership card of the Antwerp zoo (which I love dearly and visit often) but this one is much larger and seems closer to the natural habitat of those animals. I’d love to visit it someday.

(August 22, 2009 - 8:55 am)

Hi Kim,
      What is the zoo in Antwerp like? We hope you’re having a fine summer!

Gard

(August 31, 2009 - 9:23 pm)

The Singapore zoo is nice. I have been there a couple of times and the last time I went there with my wife. She was actually pulled up on stage when they had a snake and reptile show and to start with it was all fun. But then all of a sudden they brought out the BIGGEST monster of a snake that we have ever seen. I think it was at that point my wife threw in the towel and chose to sit down again with the audience 😉

(September 1, 2009 - 1:45 am)

Hi Gard,
      Yeesh. I’d probably do the same if I had been in your wife’s position!

Tara Brown

(June 22, 2010 - 1:05 pm)

So many people in Singapore have told me to visit the Singapore Zoo but I don’t go to zoos. Putting animals in small, unnatural environments is cruel. Last September I went on the Night Safari because it was part of a business trip and it would have been rude for me not to go, but I was upset the whole time. They put spotlights on food for the animals so that us little people on the train can see them as we roll down the tracks.

You probably didn’t know this but they had polar bears there at the Singapore Zoo. Being Canadian, you have to ask yourself how well a polar bear is going to do at the equator. http://www.acres.org.sg/campaigns_polarbears.html

Just another perspective because I don’t think many people really think about it.
    .-= Tara Brown´s last blog ..GTFO 2010: Episode 3. Still in Singapore. =-.

(June 24, 2010 - 9:30 am)

Hi Tara,

I’m not a big zoo person either. In fact, the first zoo I’ve been to in over two years was the Singapore Zoo. I was at the Taipei Zoo last summer with my stepson, and there is simply no comparison between the two. The Singapore Zoo is far superior.

I didn’t go to the Night Safari, so I can’t comment on that. I was prepared to be disappointed with the day zoo, but in comparison to what I’ve seen and read about other zoos, the Singapore Zoo seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the animals happy – er, as happy as they can be in penned in open areas.

I saw the polar bears and I admit, I felt bad for them. The enclosure seemed small and it seems cruel to keep them enclosed in the heat and humidity.