Unusual Hotel of the Month: Habitat Hostel

Guest Photo from Habitat Hostel
Guest Photo from Habitat Hostel

HABITAT HOSTELS, Singapore’s only boutique flashpackers hostel, is the best choice for budget travelers looking for an environment of personal service, pampered luxury and chic furnishings, coupled with an excellent location.

Fully air-conditioned rooms feature pod dorms (following the Japanese pod-style capsule idea) which provide backpackers with unparalleled privacy and personal space. The pod is self-enclosed while remaining spacious, and features its own reading light and a small ledge for personal items.

Personal services that includes regular social activities, games, outings, and in-house themed parties (Popiah party, anyone?) serve as an excellent icebreaker amongst guests at the hostel.

Habitat Hostel is housed in a 3-storey pre-war shophouse with a charming Chinese Baroque façade. They are the only hostel strategically located at Devonshire Road, just a short 2-minute walk to Orchard Road – Singapore’s epicenter for premium shopping and entertainment. Habitat Hostel is a stone’s throw away from Orchard Road and Somerset MRT stations, giving travelers easy access to the city, yet remaining far enough away to provide peace and quiet. Its rich heritage, charming ambiance, and relaxing atmosphere makes this the perfect location for a boutique hostel concept.

READ:  World Arthritis Day – Why It Matters To Me – Arthritis Everywhere

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

14 thoughts on “Unusual Hotel of the Month: Habitat Hostel

June

(May 28, 2009 - 7:11 am)

Wow, what a good quality budget accommodation. Thanks for sharing this.

(June 3, 2009 - 1:51 pm)

Hi June,

You’re welcome. Have you been to any interesting budget accommodations in the last little while? Where are you now?

Nabeel

(May 28, 2009 - 9:03 am)

If I woke up in middle of night and try to sit, won’t my head hit with the top of capsule?

(June 3, 2009 - 1:52 pm)

Nabeel,

Smile. I got a good chuckle out of your comment. By the way, I believe you are a newbie to My Several Worlds. Welcome!

Lilliy

(May 28, 2009 - 10:16 pm)

A friend of ours travels frequently to Japan and always uses these capsule beds. He likes it. I think I would get a little claustrophobic if I ever got into one of these. come to think of it I don’t think I can ever do it.

(June 3, 2009 - 1:56 pm)

Hi Lilliy,

I think that it would make for an interesting night and a great travel story. Actually, these little cubbies look quite quaint and cozy. I give them a big thumbs-up!

Erica

(May 29, 2009 - 7:53 pm)

Habitat Hostel looks pretty cosy. With my slight tendency for claustrophobia, I’m not sure if I would want to sleep in one of those pods, though. But I’ll definitely visit Singapore some time.

(June 3, 2009 - 1:58 pm)

Hi Erica,
      Singapore is amazing. I hope you get a chance to go there some time soon.

Cheryl

(May 31, 2009 - 9:58 am)

Hi all! Cheryl here from Habitat Hostels! Thanks for all your comments!

Actually, our pods are much, much bigger than the regular Japanese-type capsules. There is extra space on the side to place personal belongings, and the height within each pod is about 1.5m which gives you tons of headroom! Even a really tall person wouldn’t have to worry about knocking his/her head! =)

Thanks again for the comments! Do feel free to drop my a msg at cheryl@habitat-hostels.com.sg if you have any questions!

Cheers!

(June 3, 2009 - 1:59 pm)

Hi Cheryl,
      Thanks for stopping by and clarifying for my readers. I think you’ve got a great thing going!

Nabeel

(June 1, 2009 - 11:26 am)

Hi Cheryl,

It’s nice to have your clarification. Thank you

sit gutierrez

(August 23, 2009 - 2:32 pm)

i have recommended your hostel to my friends here in the philippines who are planning to visit singapore. The place is really clean, the place is cozy and the people are tourist friendly. Love you all.

(August 31, 2009 - 9:44 am)

Hi Sit,

Thanks very much. Your friends are going to have a wonderful time in Singapore. It’s a gorgeous city!

Cheryl

(July 20, 2012 - 11:01 am)

Hi,

Just an update that Habitat has re-opened as WINK HOSTEL. For more information, pls visit our website at http://www.winkhostel.com.

Cheers,