Where to eat in Taipei: Ay-Chung Noodle Shop

Street Snackin' in Ximending
Street Snackin’ in Ximending

John and I love street food in Taiwan. Our idea of fun is heading to the nearest nightmarket to wander, shop, and eat.

One of our favorite places to go is Ay-Chung Noodle Shop in Ximending. Ay-Chung’s isn’t just famous for its hearty vermicelli noodles stewed in a thick soup bursting with flavor.

They are also well-known for creating a nourishing meal in 15 seconds flat. You won’t find a cheaper lunch, either. A large bowl of delicious melt-in-your-mouth noodles is just $1.50 US.

The shop is hard to miss. Just look for the long line-ups and a crowd of people busily slurping piping hot noodles in front of the shop. Patrons here squat or stand with their bowls of noodles.

Don’t let that fact scare you away from a unique dining experience.

Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodles

Ay-Chung Noodle Shop – Serving noodles since 1975:

Ximending Branch: Ximen Station, Exit 6. No.8-1, Er Mei St., Wanhua District. +886-02-2388-8808

Shiling Branch: 1F., No.24, Lane 101, Wenlin Rd., Shilin District, Taipei City

Xinyi District Branch: No.2, Lane 17, Sec. 4, Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei City

Ah-Chung Flour Rice Noodles

READ:  Traditional Medicine Markets in Taiwan

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions. My husband and I have owned our own business in Taiwan since 2012. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to several publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline. Twitter @globetrotteri Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/carriekellenberger/. I also have a dedicated page for My Several Worlds at https://www.instagram.com/myseveralworlds/. Each IG feed features different content.

12 thoughts on “Where to eat in Taipei: Ay-Chung Noodle Shop

roentarre

(May 10, 2009 - 12:20 am)

This is seriously one of the must-go places for me every time I return to Taipei.

I know that their selling volume is on the downhill spin and the owner has his own relative being kidnapped for ransom.

globetrotteri

(May 11, 2009 - 1:32 pm)

Roentarre,

Ho! I\\'m glad you like Ay-Chung\\'s. My friends tell me it is super-popular in Taipei. Everyone seems to know who they are. Really? They\\'re sales are going down? I never would have guessed that after waiting in such a long line. Every time I go there, it looks like business is booming.

Expatriate Games

(May 10, 2009 - 12:54 am)

Cool post, I am a bit of an adventurer when it comes to street food. By now I think the stomach is pretty much cast iron anyway! Most of it is pretty good here in Liuzhou but I do NOT like the local snail noodles!

globetrotteri

(May 11, 2009 - 1:34 pm)

Michael,
      HA! I developed a cast iron stomach in China as well – after several bouts of food poisoning. I never did learn my lesson. We love street food. There\\'s nothing better than walking, shopping, and eating. Three great activities all rolled into one. I got you on the snail noodles. I don\\'t like them, either. Taiwan is famous for oyster omelettes, and I can\\'t stand them. However, I\\'m a big fan of stinky tofu, especially if it\\'s BBQed.

Stevo

(May 10, 2009 - 7:56 pm)

Sounds great, Carrie. I love street food. There's a great alley in Shenzhen where i get a Chinese-take on a chicken sandwich, and fried potatoes with peppers. Yum yum. My local Muslim noodle shop recently closed, I'm looking for a good replacement.

globetrotteri

(May 11, 2009 - 1:35 pm)

We had a great time snacking in Shenzhen while we were there. The food was great. Those fried potatoes sound yum. I really like steamed sweet potatoes.

nomadic matt

(May 11, 2009 - 4:12 am)

the pancakes were the best.

i think were gonna miss each other in singapore…

marcus

(May 11, 2009 - 7:05 am)

while the noodles are pretty good, i've never really liked having to stand and eat. especially without something to lean on.

globetrotteri

(May 11, 2009 - 1:36 pm)

Marcus,
      We think it\\'s part of the charm. Every once in a while, it\\'s fun to go local.

andre

(May 12, 2009 - 7:47 am)

Ay-Chung is awesome! One of the best in town.

I've been told they have a shop in California. I don't know if it's the real deal though. Most likely just a copycat cashing in on their name & fame.

I wonder why they spell it Ay-Chung instead of Ah-Chung. Y & H are right on top of each other on the keyboard, so it's possible they meant to write AH but ended up doing a typo and just went with AY anyways. I've seen that happen a lot here since most people don't have anyone proofreading the English.

globetrotteri

(May 13, 2009 - 2:28 pm)

Andres,
      I heard that, too. Actually, I\\'ve heard that they have several shops around the world. As far as trying to figure out spelling rules in Chinese, I gave up a long time ago.