Carrie Marshall Photography on DPS’s Monthly Critique

Photo by Carrie Marshall
Photo by Carrie Marshall

Exciting news today. One of my photos was submitted by a friend to Digital Photography School’s Monthly Critique. I would never have had the guts to submit any of my work. I’ve only been working with a DSLR camera for just a little over a year. Although I was a bit nervous at first, I was pleased to read everyone’s thoughts and comments. The advice I have received is greatly appreciated.

Fu Dog and Temple was one of the first photos I took with my Digital Rebel after buying it last year. I use this photo as my logo for My Several Worlds because it is so unusual. I didn’t do a lot of post-processing on this photo, however I did add a frame and a vignette in order to create my web site logo.

One of the critiques on DPS was that they didn’t really like the use of the vignette that I applied, however, I like the way it looks with my logo in the far right corner of my website. I think it makes my logo stand out and I’m pleased with the results. However, without the logo, I can see why other photographers find the vignette too dark and heavy.

Here is the original photo without the vignette. I haven’t done much post-processing with this photo, either. To be honest, I have very limited use with Photoshop and usually use an online photo editing software program like Picnik or Pixlr to touch up my photos. So, there you go. I admit it. That’s not to say I won’t learn. I will, when I find the time!

In other photography news, I bought myself some new equipment while hanging out with Craig Ferguson a few weekends ago. I had an idea of what I wanted, but was really nervous about making my first lens purchase. I think I’ve read every Canon lens review out there, and then promptly forgot everything I’d learned when I met Craig. Originally, I was looking at the 17-40mm lens, but after trying that out, I realized I wanted more of a zoom. Craig suggested the 17-85mm. That’s what I ended up purchasing, along with a Speedlite (430) for the same price as the 17-40mm! I admit though, the 17-40 is a beautiful lens and I’m hoping to make another lens purchase sometime later this year. For the meantime, I’m having fun with it and I’m learning. Thanks Craig, for a great afternoon and a terrific suggestion.

READ:  Jwu Jiu Teahouse in Chiayi - A Step Back into Time

And thanks to Peter West Casey, who showcased my work on The Carey Adventures Daily Photo of the Day and who also submitted and reviewed my work on Digital Photography School

To the other photography experts who have left advice and comments for me, thank you. And to anyone who is coming here from DPS, I welcome you to My Several Worlds.

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

17 thoughts on “Carrie Marshall Photography on DPS’s Monthly Critique

Expatriate Games

(May 5, 2009 - 9:34 am)

Hey that's cool huh? Congrats. You know I kinda' like the vignette for this shot, maybe just back off it a bit?

I know Craig loves his 17 – 40 lens so I think he really was thinking about you when he recommended the 17 – 85. You may have read I actually got a lemon with my 17 – 40 and I need to have it looked at. I have the 17 – 85 as well and it is every bit as sharp as my 17 – 40. Of course it shouldn't be but it definitely is. Regardless, I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of that zoom range.

globetrotteri

(May 7, 2009 - 10:14 am)

Hi Michael,
      Thanks. The 17-40 was the first one I looked at, but I wanted a bit more zoom. He did a great job. If he hadn\\'t been there, I would have gone home and pondered some more. I\\'ve been all over the place about a lens purchase, but the deciding factors were weight, practicality, and budget. I don\\'t think he could have given me better advice.

Ron in L.A.

(May 5, 2009 - 12:33 pm)

Good for you Carrie… 🙂

You'll enjoy the 17-85, As "they" say, it's an excellent "walk around lens". Enjoy it…

R(etc… )

globetrotteri

(May 8, 2009 - 8:58 am)

Thanks, Ron. It\\'s definitely inspiring me to get out and walk, which is what I need to do right now. It couldn\\'t have come at a better time.

ashish

(May 6, 2009 - 6:55 am)

Congratulations for the new lens and external flash. I might go for a wider lens though. I was also hoping to buy these two items but will probably wait until I make a trip back to India.

globetrotteri

(May 8, 2009 - 8:44 am)

Thanks Ashish. Yep. I\\'m already saving for my next one. What a difference a decent lens makes! Gotta get a new laptop first, though. Is camera equipment quite cheap in India?

Enrico Lluch

(May 8, 2009 - 2:15 am)

This is way much better than the one with the vignette. Congrats!

globetrotteri

(May 8, 2009 - 8:42 am)

Thanks Enrico. I\\'m glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by My Several Worlds.

ashish

(May 8, 2009 - 9:07 am)

Hi Carrie, Sorry about the confusion. What I actually meant to say was I have planned a trip to India sometime around December 09 to travel around India with Selina & baby for a month. I am not particularly sure about the expense so might just wait until I come back from it. Photographic equipment isn't cheap in India. I found Taiwan prices to be 30~40% cheaper so whatever I buy I will buy it here 🙂

globetrotteri

(May 8, 2009 - 9:10 am)

Ashish,
      Ah, OK. You know, I\\'ve been meaning to write and ask you for more pix of Susan. Think you could oblige? I\\'ve checked your blog several times, but you haven\\'t updated in a while. Understandably so. A newbie in the family probably takes uup all your free time.

ashish

(May 8, 2009 - 9:27 am)

My pleasure Carrie. Already sent to your her latest pictures over an email. I will update my blog as soon as I successfully recall my pwd lol Its been long time.

(May 8, 2009 - 10:01 am)

Ashish,
          Thank you!

krzysztof

(May 12, 2009 - 1:23 pm)

You've taken a lot of great photos. But in my opinion this picture is one of your best shots and it is also one of my favourite photos. I fell in love in this picture when I saw it very first time. Congratulations Carrie 🙂
    By the way, I had to knock against my head – last e-mail I asked you what kind of camera did you buy. But you bought a new camera lens. Sorry, I recently have difficult to associate facts. I hope it isn't dementia 😉

globetrotteri

(May 13, 2009 - 2:33 pm)

Thanks Krzysztof. Your recent bout of dementia is probably from studying too hard. But if this is the worst you\\'ve got to offer, I\\'ll take it any day! Always glad to hear from you, K!

Gerry Noble

(May 17, 2009 - 4:10 pm)

Congrats on the new lens and flash. You will enjoy them and their versatility. Great photo taking Carrie and good health to you and John.

globetrotteri

(May 18, 2009 - 5:14 am)

Hi Gerry,
      Thank you. The new lens makes all the difference in the world. I haven\\'t had much of a chance to experiment with the flash yet. Work is keeping us both busy and we\\'re off to Singapore in a week. 🙂

Gerry Noble

(May 17, 2009 - 4:20 pm)

Hi Carrie, Meant to congratulate you on your submission. Hoope it works out.
    Gerry