Unusual Hotel of the Month: The Oil Rig Pod Hotel

The Pod Hotel in the Netherlands
The Pod Hotel in the Netherlands

Imagine being aboard a sinking oil rig and bring set out into the icy oil-slicked waters in one of these tiny orange survival pods. Some adventure travelers might actually be headed to the Pod Hotel in The Hague, Netherlands to live out this particular little fantasy, while others might simply go for the novelty of saying they slept in something that resembles the underwater capsule that Steve Zissou and his crew made famous in The Life Aquatic. Whatever their reasons, this is one hotel that’s built for survivors who aren’t afraid of a tight squeeze.

The accommodations at the Pod Hotel are actually survival pods from an oil rig, and were allegedly built in 1972. Now, the bright orange capsules are moored in The Hague and are available to those who are brave enough to test their fear of small spaces.

The Pod Hotel is closed for the winter, but will reopen again this spring. Two more of these cozy little capsules have been added to their hotel accommodations, bringing the grand total of pods to four. They will also be boasting a bigger reception pod. The bright orange pods can be moored in different locations. At present, two are moored in The Hague. The other two pods are supposedly traveling to Antwerp. Packages depend on the interior, location and length of stay. One of these pods comes equipped with a disco-mirror ball, fairy lights and silk lined sleeping bags, while the other features a James Bond theme. It will be interesting to see what the other two are featured as. Hmmm….perhaps that Steve Zissou reference wasn’t such a bad idea, after all. Prices for a night in one of these funky-looking capsules will run you between 5o and 150 Euro’s. Despite the price for such cramped accommodations, this funky pod hotel is guaranteed to be a conversation piece in any traveler’s journal.

19 thoughts on “Unusual Hotel of the Month: The Oil Rig Pod Hotel

cfimages

(February 12, 2009 - 12:03 am)

That’d be cool. Not sure if I’d want to spend a whole night there, but a few hours would be fun.

cfimages’s last blog post..A Hint of Japan

(February 12, 2009 - 2:58 pm)

Ha. I wholeheartedly agree. Only because I know what kind of space I’d get if I had to share with my giant of a husband.

An carol

(February 12, 2009 - 4:55 am)

cool the pod hotel ~ but it`s strange the feeling .

(February 12, 2009 - 2:59 pm)

Hi An,
      Thanks for dropping by again and commenting. The Pod Hotel is a cool hotel, but I don’t think I’d pay that kind of money to stay there.

kim

(February 13, 2009 - 11:05 am)

Ha, hadn’t heard of these yet – if they arrive at Antwerp (= where I live) I’ll try to check them out and report back.

(February 13, 2009 - 1:46 pm)

Hi An,
    For some reason, I lost your 2nd comment. My apologies. I just stopped by your blog. You’re an amazing artist! I love the black and white sketch of the bird!

(February 13, 2009 - 1:47 pm)

Hey Kim,
    I’m going to hold you to that. You can be my official reporter, since there really isn’t much information about the Pod Hotel on the web yet.

Fili An

(February 14, 2009 - 9:48 am)

:S :O
    where’d you find that one?

Fili An’s last blog post..Visiting Moon World and Hakka Culture with Meinong Folk Village

(February 14, 2009 - 10:22 am)

Hi Fili,
      You know me. I’ve always got my eye open for interesting new ideas. This one reminds me of Taiwan’s Pod Village. I couldn’t resist posting about it.

Marion

(March 5, 2009 - 10:31 am)

Funny hotel, but not really comfortable… 🙂

(March 7, 2009 - 10:31 am)

Hi Marion,
      You’re new here, so welcome! Thanks very much for linking to My Several Worlds in your latest post. I really appreciate it! I guess when you consider the hotel in question, people aren’t looking for comfort. They’re looking for novelty.

Krzysztof

(March 7, 2009 - 9:59 am)

I think you’re right. This price is a bit excessive. However it can be funny experience to spend there one or two days. Probably sooner or later I would get claustrophobic there.

(March 7, 2009 - 10:38 am)

Hey K! I haven’t heard from you in ages. Life is keeping us both busy I suppose. I think a few hours in an oil rig pod would suffice me, especially if I were with John. With him, there’s really only room for one!

Krzysztof

(March 7, 2009 - 1:17 pm)

Oh yes indeed. I had a lot of work recently and was ill with flu but it’s everything ok now. Short time ago I subscribed to your blog and today I’ve been reading articles which I haven’t read yet.
    There is a lot of changes on your page. It’s an excellent idea to put categories on central place. I must confess I like when all posts appear on main page one by one. I have to get used to new solutions. 🙂

(March 11, 2009 - 5:33 am)

Hi K,

Yep. I’ve made quite a few changes over the past couple of months. I’m still going to keep up with my personal blog posts, but I’m also trying to move in a direction that allows me to work more closely with direct advertisers. I understand that the changes I’ve made take a little getting used to, but I think the layout is much better. Plus, you can access more content from the front page than before.

Jenny

(March 12, 2009 - 5:33 am)

That’s actually a great idea for the kids. You know how young kids are about exploring and adventures

(March 13, 2009 - 1:57 pm)

Jenny,
      I can imagine it would be cramped quarters with kids in tow, and definitely a night to remember.

Caucasus Tours

(March 21, 2009 - 12:32 pm)

Very cool hotel:) thanks for sharing.
    Kind regards from Gudauri Hotels & Travel

Ernie Plucknett

(September 4, 2010 - 9:05 am)

I wonder how much one of these babies cost…love to own one!