Carrie Marshall Published in JPG Magazine Issue 19

San-zhr Haunted Pod Village

Exciting news, everyone! A few days after I returned home to Canada, I received a paycheck and a full year’s subscription to JPG Magazine as one of their featured writers and photographers in Issue 19.  Although the magazine is only available for sale at US news stands and bookstores in the United States, you can view Issue 19 here. My two-page article on Taiwan’s Haunted Holiday in San-Zhi is featured on pages 22 and 23.

JPG Magazine is an online community of professional and amateur photographers who share their pictures and stories about the world around them. Anyone can become a member and share their work. Upload your favorite photos and most interesting stories or submit them online to ongoing and featured themes.  Once you have submitted to a theme, members can start their voting. Getting votes doesn’t ensure publication, but it certainly helps! JPG editors make the final selection when they are putting together each issue.

My photostream on JPG.

rooftop

An inside view of one of the pods at San-Zhi Pod Village.

jpg_topb

READ:  Taiwan Travel Photo Journal - Day 1 - A Walk in the Clouds

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

25 thoughts on “Carrie Marshall Published in JPG Magazine Issue 19

Stevo | China Travel

(January 14, 2009 - 10:23 am)

Awesome, Carrie. Big congrats! 2009 will be your year to make a giant splash!

Fili An

(January 14, 2009 - 10:25 am)

Terrific ^_^

The direct link is http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/4622

How did you get the gig?

Naruwan

(January 14, 2009 - 11:36 am)

Hey well done Carrie! Thankfully it seems that JPG mag is going to survive. I hope Flickr bags it rather than SmugMug or some other unworthy.

(January 14, 2009 - 1:36 pm)

Thanks Naruwan. I was a bit bummed when I opened my inbox last week and found an email from JPG saying that they were going to discontinue the magazine. From what I understand, there’s been a huge show of support on Facebook and Flickr. They decided to keep it going after all.

Ashish

(January 14, 2009 - 12:44 pm)

Congratulations Carrie. Every time I think it can not get any better than this and it does lol. Just incredible. I’m also glad to hear that JPG won’t be closing down. There are some incredible pictures and stories in JPG.

(January 14, 2009 - 1:38 pm)

I think 2009 is going to rock! It looks like everyone is off to a great start, too. Newlyweds, births, publications and nominations seem to be flying all over the Taiwan blogosphere.

michelle G

(January 14, 2009 - 1:04 pm)

I love this series

Todd

(January 14, 2009 - 1:15 pm)

Congratulations on getting published, the pics look spectacular! I regret never making it up to see the UFO homes.

(January 14, 2009 - 1:39 pm)

I heard they were going to tear them down. Have they already done so? A friend of mine was there a few weeks ago and they were still there. You might still be able to make it! PS. I never officially congratulated you and Cathy on My Several Worlds. I’m really happy for you both.

(January 14, 2009 - 1:41 pm)

Thanks Steve!

(January 14, 2009 - 1:43 pm)

Thanks for that direct link, Fili! The long and short of it is: I submitted my work. JPG members voted for me. The editors liked it and voila. Somehow I don’t think it’s supposed to be that easy but I’m not complaining!

cfimages

(January 15, 2009 - 12:47 am)

Good on you Carrie. Actually if they don’t publish any more JPG magazines it might be good – you can claim to be featured in the final issue and it might become a collectors item.

The pods are gone now, all torn down.

(January 15, 2009 - 1:07 am)

Hey. Now there’s an idea, Craig! Actually, I think JPG has been saved from oblivion. I got an email earlier this week saying that they were going to keep things moving as they had a huge outpouring of support from their members.

Regarding the pods being torn down, that is just so sad. I thought they really added an air of mystique and wackiness to Taiwan. I love that area. Thanks so much for introducing it to me! Have you noticed that the pods have been featured in travel literature and travel brochures throughout Taiwan? I wonder what they’re going to do now?

Mark Forman

(January 15, 2009 - 3:53 am)

Ha was just gonna mention how you and Craig covered the pods the best and look who’s comment is ahead of mine. That would rock if that issue a collectors item. Do you have one?

(January 15, 2009 - 3:56 am)

Hey Mark,
      I do. I have a full year’s subscription and then I couldn’t resist picking up another copy at a news stand in Chicago O’Hare. Thanks for the compliment!

Gerry / Cindy Noble

(January 15, 2009 - 2:12 pm)

Hello Carrie (and John),
    We are so proud of you. Congratulations on your 1st article with pictures for JPG. (especially the paycheck) May it be the beginning of your journalism/photography career.
    We are looking forward to reading and seeing pictures of your life/travels in SE Asia.
    God Bless
    Gerry and Cindy

(January 17, 2009 - 3:31 am)

Hi Gerry and Cindy,
      Thank you so much for your love and support! It was so great to see you both again after so many years. It felt like I had just seen you both yesterday. Thank you again for making our reception such a wonderful moment for us. I’m looking forward to seeing your photos taken with your new Canon. Much love to you both…I’m a lucky lucky girl to have amazing godparents like you! XOXO

kim

(January 19, 2009 - 11:07 am)

Congratulations, that’s fantastic news! And welcome back, I’m glad to hear from you again!

(January 22, 2009 - 1:23 am)

Thanks, Kim. It’s good to be back home.

Krzysztof

(January 23, 2009 - 1:03 am)

Congratulations Carrie 🙂 It’s really fantastic news! It must be very exciting feeling when you see your article and pictures in a magazine. I wish you more publications. There is a lot of photos in your collection which deserve to be showed.

Joanna

(January 29, 2009 - 4:05 am)

Congratulations on JPG magazine! The photos look fantastic as always!

David Jinkins

(February 12, 2009 - 12:24 pm)

I stumbled upon this site looking for twitterers in Taiwan. So the UFO homes are gone. How sad…but congrats anyway on getting published!

(February 12, 2009 - 2:59 pm)

Thanks, David for stopping by and for your comment.

Ron in L.A.

(February 13, 2009 - 4:52 am)

That’s great Carrie, congrats and look forward to more… The pod image is really great… 😉

R(etc… )

Ron in L.A.’s last blog post..The Palm Tree and The Palace – Lima, Peru

(February 13, 2009 - 1:43 pm)

Thanks Ron. With amazing photographers like you to keep inspiring me, hopefully there will be more of this down the road.