Photo Moment: The Misty Mountains of Halong Bay, Vietnam

The Misty Mountains of Halong Bay

This photo was taken just before sunset in Halong Bay, Vietnam.  We had just dropped anchor for the evening to spend our first night on a traditional junk boat.  Obviously, I’ve had a bit of photo-processing fun with this image.  I’ve inverted some of the colors to make it look more like a painting.  What do you think?

READ:  The Story of Our Wedding in Mexico

13 thoughts on “Photo Moment: The Misty Mountains of Halong Bay, Vietnam

MJ Klein

(September 23, 2008 - 4:47 am)

i love this photograph!

Asia » www.asia.de

(September 23, 2008 - 8:01 am)

[…] Photo Moment: The Misty Mountains of Halong Bay, VietnamThe Misty Mountains of Halong Bay. This photo was taken just before sunset in Halong Bay, Vietnam. We had just dropped anchor for the evening to spend our first night on a traditional junk boat. Obviously, I’ve had a bit of … […]

Ha-Long » Festivals and Holidays in Vietnam

(September 23, 2008 - 10:04 am)

[…] Photo Moment: The Misty Mountains of Halong Bay, VietnamThis photo was taken just before sunset in Halong Bay, Vietnam. We had just dropped anchor for the evening to spend our first night on a traditional junk boat. Obviously, I’ve had a bit of photo-processing fun with this image. … […]

(September 23, 2008 - 3:00 pm)

Thanks MJ. I really happy with the way it turned out too.

Stevo

(September 23, 2008 - 7:25 pm)

Cool beans, Carrie. Your processing makes it look like an old 70s snapshot. You should check out the Exposure PS Plug-ins by Alien Skin. I think you would have fun with them.

(September 24, 2008 - 3:00 am)

Hey Stevo,
    Will do. You always have the greatest ideas and plugins. I don’t know how you do it, but I’m really glad you’re always willing to share. At the moment, I’m using a few pieces of software, but the one I enjoy using most for its convenience and ease is Picnik, which is affiliated with my Flick account.

Stevo

(September 24, 2008 - 3:48 am)

I can’t get into Flickr, that and it’s inaccessible here. You should check out photo.net – Craig’s on there. Great photographers, reviews and info.

(September 24, 2008 - 4:39 am)

That sucks Steve! I waste hours and hours on Flickr. (Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but I’ve met some really great people there, who have all been very encouraging and helpful with my photography.

I’ll check out photo.net. Craig seems to be everywhere. He’s also on Flickr. I have to admit though, I’m a bit hesitant only because I feel like I’ve spread myself too thin. I find it hard to find the time to devote to each site. One week it’s here, another it’s somewhere else…Nevertheless, you’ve never steered me wrong. Thanks for everything Steve.

Kim

(September 24, 2008 - 6:34 am)

I love this photo, the colours are great, and lifted with the little splashes of red and orange.

Stevo

(September 24, 2008 - 9:08 am)

Carrie: I know exactly what you mean. There’s too many places I wanted to be on the net. The day needs to be 30 hours long, there are not enough hours.

Travel Blissful had a great post about Photoshop filters, you should take a look.

Bearbrick Lover

(September 24, 2008 - 4:11 pm)

What a beautiful photograph! The mood is great! Eyelovit!

Fighting Windmills

(October 2, 2008 - 2:37 pm)

I really like it, Carrie. The colors are great, and it does look painted and a little old (in a comforting way).

globetrotter-ette

(December 5, 2008 - 3:41 am)

Halong bay is one of the most beautiful and impressive sights in Vietnam. In order to truly explore the beauty and peacefulness of halong bay and not get trapped with the other hundreds of tourists that go there every day, treat yourself to a cruise on Indochina Sails, preferably Valentine (Indochina Sails’ smalles boat with only 5 cabins).

Indochina Sails picked us up in Hanoi and drove us in a minivan to Halong Bay. There we boarded Valentine – our oasis for the next 24 hours. The rooms are beautifully and stylishly decorated, a mix between east and west. We had roses on the bed and in the bathroom (with jacuzzi and rainforest shower!). The cruise started off with a 6 course lunch while cruising through the beautiful limestones. In the afternoon they took us to climb one of the limestones and then to a beautiful little bay far away from all the other tourist boats to go kajaking. Dinner again was a 6 or 7 course meal, beautifully arranged and absolutely delicious. After dinner the crew organised some squid fishing. Next day, we had a thai chi lesson on board, again while crusing through the beautiful morning scenery. After a little excursion, we were served a superb breakfast and then were driven back to Halong Bay.

Exploring halong bay with the valentine is the only way to do it, in our eyes. Valentine (indochina sails) allows you to explore the bay almost on your own and experience the peacefulness and mysticism of it far away from the crowd.