Photo Moment: Mount Fuji Temple Dolls

Local Dolls

One of my favorite photos from Japan is of these colorful little temple dolls. We found them at the last station in a temple 6.3km from the top of Mt. Fuji.  Although the weather refused to cooperate with us that day, we still had a great time exploring the area despite the fact that the elusive mountain remained hidden behind her cloak of clouds and mist.

READ:  Shibuya!

8 thoughts on “Photo Moment: Mount Fuji Temple Dolls

michelle G

(August 29, 2008 - 11:24 am)

did the dolls remind you of muppets?

and Mt Fuji, I have always wanted to visit japan. One of these days.

(August 29, 2008 - 4:21 pm)

Ba ha ha ha. That was the first thing I said to John when I saw them! Great minds think alike eh?

Nathan

(August 30, 2008 - 9:57 am)

I really dig your blog – love the insights about Taiwan and the other places you have lived. I have lived in Japan for nine years and will be moving to Taipei in October. My wife is Taiwanese and our daughter is super international – born in Japan, already the proud dual citizen – a US passport and a ROC passport –
    Really looking forward to my first year in Taiwan – any advice?

(September 2, 2008 - 4:08 am)

Hi Nathan,
    Thanks! Japan is such a unique place. Moving to Taiwan is going to be a big change. Taipei is a great city. The people are great. The food is out-of-this-world and there’s always something to do. I’m sure you’ll settle in quite nicely. Good luck with your move!

Kim

(September 2, 2008 - 3:43 pm)

That is a great picture, I love the colors 🙂 They do seem to be a little bit too fragile to travel in a backpack when hiking, no?

(September 3, 2008 - 2:44 pm)

Thanks Kim. You know, I kinda wish I’d picked one of these guys up, but you’re right. They were fragile and I was completely besotted with the Japanese kokeshi dolls and had no room in my heart for anything else.

Kaminoge

(September 16, 2008 - 2:40 am)

Great picture! Those are Tengu bells, according to the Japanese written on the far left underneath. Tengu are long-nosed goblins, and their depictions can be seen everywhere in Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu).

(September 16, 2008 - 4:51 pm)

Kaminoge,
    Thank you! I hate posting photos when I don’t know anything about the subject, but try as I might, I couldn’t find anything about them. Apparently, I wasn’t looking in the right place. I found plenty of information on Kokeshi dolls, which are really a spectacular form of Japanese folk art (in my opinion). These are just as charming. Thanks again very much for the information and for dropping by!