Rant: The Trials and Tribulations of Miss G

One of the things I like about living in Asia are the little perks we get from time to time. Some really entertaining work can come your way if you’re interested and you make yourself available.

For example, in addition to being a full-time singer in China before moving to Taiwan, I’ve also done radio work and modeling. I’ve performed as an extra for movies. I’ve done TV commercials and live talent shows, children’s shows, even interviews for books and magazines. The jobs have paid well and the work has been relatively easy and fun. I’ve never felt like I’m making a fool of myself and I’ve always been shown respect for the work that I do. I’ve tried to reciprocate and remain professional in these situations.

However, this week a situation arose where, for the first time ever, I was forced to act in an unprofessional manner by pulling out of the job a week before it was scheduled to be taped. I just couldn’t do it and didn’t want my name associated with the work. This was not a show that required me to play a different character. I was asked to do this show because of how I teach. Last month, they wanted me to be me…at first. Then last week, I was told that the creative vision I had been asked to bring to the show was not what they wanted. They wanted me to change my teaching style, and they wanted me to look and act completely out of my comfort zone.

Let me back up a bit. About a month ago, I was asked to help record a children’s TV show. I was a bit skeptical at first, but was reassured that it would be a very simple affair. The pay was quite low, but I agreed because a friend had asked and I didn’t want to disappoint her.

The next day, I spoke with a few Taiwanese friends who had also been asked to do the show. I was reassured once more that it would be quite simple and that the reason I had been asked was because the company wanted a broad range of teaching styles on the show. I was one of two foreigners asked. The rest of the people on the show are Taiwanese teachers from around the island. After some of my questions were answered, I asked to see what I was required to teach. I immediately asked for all the props and flashcards that went with the lessons so I could prepare for the lesson. I was told to ask for whatever else I needed. Four weeks later and less than five days out from the taping, I still didn’t have any props to work with and was expected to go to the studio the day of the show to see what the company had made available.

READ:  Expats Behaving Badly

About two weeks ago, the real hassles began. I study Chinese and pay for my lessons ahead of time, so I needed a firm booking with the TV studio because I don’t have a lot of free time to play around with. Within the last two weeks, the date has been changed four times. That means I’ve had to rearrange my schedule four times.

There was no mention of a costume when I was asked to do this. I assumed I would be wearing something similar to what folks wear back home on children’s TV programs. Then I got a glimpse of the costume I was required to wear. My heart sank. I never dreamed in a million years that they would try to put me in a bubble gum pink mini skirt with matching suspenders, red knee socks, a mint green T-shirt and all those little do-dads that girls love so much here.

I said no flat-out. I’m 33 years old and I do not want to be dressed like a little girl.

Not only was the outfit really tacky, but I felt it was very inappropriate for me to wear this kind of outfit in front of children. Perhaps for the Taiwanese, these types of outfits are the norm, but I felt extremely uncomfortable with the whole idea. I had, what I thought, was a long discussion emphasizing that I didn’t mean to be picky or cause trouble, but these kinds of costumes were not what I had in mind when  I agreed to be on the show.  I asked them to show some respect for me and my culture when choosing what I would be wearing on TV.  It seemed to go in one ear and out the ear. After listening, they asked if I would wear a white tennis outfit. I agreed reluctantly. At this point, I was starting to have major doubts about being on the show.

Things culminated last week when I was asked to do a short demo of how I planned to teach on screen. All along, they have touted the need for having different teaching styles. When I started demonstrating how I was going to teach the vocabulary and sentence patterns, using the same techniques that I use at my school and which my co-workers love so much (without flashcards, markers or a teleprompter I might add), I was immediately told that I needed to teach the vocabulary the way the Taiwanese teachers do.

READ:  2010 The Year of the Metal Tiger (That's me!)

I’ve never seen a foreign teacher teach vocabulary like this. One of the main reasons we’re in the classrooms is to teach proper pronunciation, so I was absolutely shocked to hear that they wanted me to teach like a Taiwanese teacher. Why then, had they asked me? They simply could have asked a Taiwanese teacher to teach and act the way they want them to. I suggested that perhaps I wasn’t the right teacher for this job.

They reassured me I was perfect for the part and then told me I had to translate the entire show in Chinese. This was the first mention of translating from English to Chinese. It happened six days before we were supposed to start shooting.

I went home that night absolutely livid. I had been given a CD of the first show to be taped and was asked to emulate the teacher on the CD. When John and I watched the tape in its entirety, we couldn’t believe it. I thought about it all weekend, and with less than a week before the taping, I decided to back out of the production. It wasn’t the most professional thing to do, but had I been given all of this information in the beginning when I asked for it, I never would have agreed to do the show.

About an hour after backing out, I received a call from the director of the show asking why I had backed out. I gave her my reasons for doing so and she told me that the studio had found a new costume for me and I could teach the way I wanted to. She told me if I didn’t like the costume, I could wear my own clothes. She made me feel bad about letting them down so close to the taping, so I sucked it up and agreed to meet her on Friday for the taping.

Less than an hour later, she phoned me back and told me the studio had changed the date and I had to come in a week later! That meant cancelling yet another Chinese lesson. Then I got a look at the new costume they had chosen and the only thing that had changed was the color of the skirt. Nevertheless, I had committed to it, so I accepted the decisions without comment.

READ:  Getting Inked in Taipei: Kevin Tattoo/UNITED TATTOO

Sure enough, within the hour, they had phoned back again to tell me that there were conflicting issues with Thursday’s date, and I would only be taping two segments, which meant I would be receiving half the pay. They asked me which segment I wanted to do. I gave them my answer and then they phoned back again twenty minutes later to tell me that someone else would be doing that segment and I was stuck with the other one!

And, that was it. I was out. My decision after that was easy to make.

This was my first experience with a television production in Taiwan and after all the problems raised, it could very well be my last. I wish the show and its producers good luck, but as far as I’m concerned, good riddance.

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

18 thoughts on “Rant: The Trials and Tribulations of Miss G

Joanna

(August 21, 2008 - 5:25 pm)

Hi Carrie,

This is terrible and typical of Taiwanese administration. Often they tell you one thing to please you and then tell you another to get what they want. A situation where there is no compromise, lots of confusion, a recipe for chaos and hurt feelings. Good luck dealing with them and I hope this works out.

Take care,
    Jo

Jack

(August 21, 2008 - 5:28 pm)

Looks like it is tough negotiating with Chinese, mainland or islander. 🙂

MJ Klein

(August 21, 2008 - 6:00 pm)

actually, backing out of a production situation that was as badly misrepresented (on purpose) as this one was, is the only professional thing to do.

(August 22, 2008 - 1:32 am)

Hi Jo,

You’re right. When I think about all the administrative situations I’ve been in, almost all of them have been a breeding ground for chaos. No one ever seems to know what’s happening.

The right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing, and of course, it’s not for us to ask questions because we’re workers and it’s not our place. This is the one situation, time and time again, that I’ve encountered in Asia and that has continued to cause problems. Westerners are used to asking questions and getting answers in order to understand and solve problems, while Easterners seem more apt to let someone do the dictating and frown upon anyone stepping out of line and asking, “Why?”

cfimages

(August 22, 2008 - 4:14 am)

Pulling out of it was the right thing to do. And slightly OT, just be aware that the immigration dept now check tax records when applying/renewing ARCs and if you have any reported income that you don’t have an ARC for, your new visa will be denied. So always check that any extra pay you get is off the books.

Stevo

(August 22, 2008 - 7:38 am)

Carrie: The colors of that outfit fill me with envy. Hot. Hot. Hot! LOL!

It’s good to know that organization is as messed up there as it is here. Backing out was the only thing you could do. I did a television special last February. The script was changed three hours before the taping. I (although I’ve never seen it) looked like an idiot. Backing out wasn’t an option.

(August 22, 2008 - 4:09 pm)

Jack,

I think it’s difficult for both sides. They don’t understand where I’m coming from, and I don’t understand their reasoning. Either way, whether you’re from the East or West, these types of situations are always sticky to deal with because the cultures involved are so different.

(August 22, 2008 - 4:09 pm)

Thank you MJ. I needed to hear that!

(August 22, 2008 - 4:11 pm)

Thanks for the reminder Craig. Yep. I’m on this one. It amazes me that they’re cracking down so hard for work like this.

(August 22, 2008 - 4:17 pm)

Stevo,

Misery loves company. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one. Although I’d pay money to see you in bubble gum pink and mint — cotton candy anyone?

The two week Arts in Our Land competition I taped in Beijing did something similar to me in 2003. They changed the script so many times I could barely see straight by the end of the show. Luckily I didn’t have to do too much talking, as I was singing. I remember them throwing in a new Chinese song a few hours before we had to tape. All the performers were going nuts backstage, but we managed to pull it off.

When it’s just a slight bump or hiccup I really don’t mind making changes, but when it’s utter chaos the ultra perfectionist in me screams in frustration and wants to start ripping hair out. 😉

Krzysztof

(August 23, 2008 - 9:31 am)

Their behaviour seems to me very weird. If they engage in some project they should have clear conception. It’s foolish to change anything six days before tape. Actually idea of taping this programm very evolved. Your decision was right. If I were you I would give up previously.

Kim

(August 25, 2008 - 7:52 am)

They were unprofessional, not you. You did the right thing backing out, it just isn’t worth the frustration and stress they give you. And the outfit… 😀 It reminds me of a very popular all-girl group here K3, aimed at 2-10 year old children. The 3 of them wear coördinated outfits: pink skirts, pigtails, heart patterns… They’re way over 30 though, so it looks a bit sad sometimes. Then again they make loads of money too.
    But I can’t understand how anyone would expect you to teach dressed like that. Teachers should have authority, and ‘pink mini skirt’ does not spell authority to me (or even to a bunch of 7 year olds I reckon).

Peder

(August 25, 2008 - 7:05 pm)

You handled this much more patiently than I would have been able to!

(August 26, 2008 - 4:05 pm)

Thanks Peder. I’m still feeling a bit bad about it, but then I found out today that in order to save face, the director felt it was best to tell everyone we got in a huge fight — which never happened. The whole situation is just sickening. I’m glad to have it behind me.

(August 26, 2008 - 4:09 pm)

Hey K!
    Stuff like this happens more often than you think. I think a lot of it has to do with work places work. In North America, we are encouraged to ask questions and have opinions. In Asia, we shouldn’t ask questions because the corporation knows best. They simply didn’t understand why I was asking so questions and saw it as me creating problems. I was supposed to accept everything they asked me to do instead of questioning everything.

(August 26, 2008 - 4:14 pm)

Hi Kim,

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the outfits. Even childrens’ shows back home don’t require their actresses to wear this kind of clothing. I can’t tell you how shocked I was when I saw the outfits. My first thought was how I would explain this to my friends and family back home. No teacher would be taken seriously in this kind of get-up. What’s acceptable here is fine for Taiwanese teachers. It’s part of their culture. But it most certainly isn’t mine.

I expect they thought I would feel honored to be asked to be on television, but they couldn’t understand why I wasn’t willing to do everything they asked to be on TV. I had no intention of getting on TV and making a fool of myself.

Mia

(August 27, 2008 - 4:40 pm)

You were the professional. You backed out ofg a program that did not have its act together. Maybe this happens all the time in Asia but not in the rest of the world. And the outfit was not appropriate at all. Always go with your feelings.

(August 28, 2008 - 4:09 pm)

Thanks Mia. Despite the fact that it was a bad production, I still can’t help feeling guilty. My parents have always been keen on the idea that when you give your word about something, you do it no matter what. Consequently, I’m feeling relieved and a bit of a spaz at the moment. My Taiwanese friends will never understand why and that’s something I’ll learn to live with I guess.