Health Update

I’ve had quite a few inquiries pertaining to my health since I posted about my ear problems. Thanks very much for your positive support.

I’m going to keep this short and sweet because if I go on too long, I think it might turn into a rant. Needless to say, I’m tired of dealing with this. My weeks have revolved around morning classes, Chinese classes, visits to the doctor and my full time job at Gram. It has been very frustrating.

I’m still dealing with these problems. My eardrum is not healing properly and this has caused a ton of new problems, all of which require one to two visits a week to the doctor in order to keep on top of things. The doctor attributes this lengthy healing process to three things. I’m a little too old to spring back from this. (That one hurt the ego.) The air pollution in Taiwan is an irritant and I’ve been suffering from these problems since I was a little girl without ever having it treated properly. He told me the other day he’s surprised that I have as much hearing as I do considering what my eardrum looks like. I agree with him. I saw it. It’s nasty.

My hearing has definitely been affected by this. I can’t handle being around loud noises and high-pitched tones. I can’t use ear plugs because my ear is constantly inflamed. I have another appointment tomorrow morning that involves a minor but painful procedure. The doctor I am seeing insists that it is getting better slowly, but I haven’t noticed much of an improvement over the past five weeks. I realized earlier this week that my idea of an improvement and his idea of improvement are worlds apart. I want the pain and discomfort to stop and a week to go by without having to see him. He wants to save my hearing without resorting to surgery.

I’m trying to stay on top of things and I’m remaining optimistic that this will pass quickly. One thing is certain. I have the utmost confidence in the medical profession here in Taiwan. It will work. It’s just a matter of when.

READ:  Photo Moment: Slow Mover

I'm a chronically ill Canadian who has been living in Asia since 2003. I moved from China to Taiwan in 2006. I'm an experienced businesswoman and have worked in many leadership positions in Asia. In addition to my own work, I've been writing professionally about Asia, travel and health advocacy since 2007, providing regular content to publishing companies and travel publications in Asia and North America. I started writing about my health journey in 2009 after being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. In 2014, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, which came with other massive health issues. These diagnoses were the start of my journey as a health advocate and patient leader. Since then, My Several Worlds has been recognized worldwide as a top site for AS, fibromyalgia, and chronic illness by WEGO Health and Healthline.

12 thoughts on “Health Update

Peder

(April 8, 2008 - 3:58 pm)

oy, too much rock & roll!
    in all seriousness, this sucks. jia you amiga. is it a diagnosable affliction or is just a “bad eardrum?”

New food at Fenway Park by Health Tips

(April 8, 2008 - 4:06 pm)

[…] Health Update […]

Wee Lemons

(April 9, 2008 - 3:28 am)

Well maintenance is much better than a downward spiral!! I’m happy to hear that treatment is steady and grateful you’ve found someone who’ll listen! (no pun…). Feel better beautiful!

oceanofstupidity

(April 9, 2008 - 8:06 am)

If I good understand your doctor wants to spare you a pain. Treatment your ear will take time and only a consistency saves you. It’s a pity that I hadn’t the consistency 16 years ago. I still keep one’s fingers crossed for your ear. Good luck.

jeff

(April 9, 2008 - 1:38 pm)

Well, these problems are too bad. ‘Hope things are gonna be better soon and improve in the right way ! I wish you the best 😉

(April 9, 2008 - 3:24 pm)

Hi Peder,

Yeah. You’re probably right. Too much music in loud Chinese dance bars and rockin’ on stage seven nights a week in CC didn’t help. Whatevs. Rock and roll never dies.

I’ve been diagnosed, but it’s hard to treat.

(April 9, 2008 - 3:28 pm)

Wee Lemons,

True true. Hopefully I’m on my way out of that spiral. It can’t get any worse now at this point. It’s an aggravating situation. I want smiles and chuckles again! (with a slight pout and shake of the head :-P)

Joanna

(April 10, 2008 - 3:17 am)

Carrie we are thinking of you and it is good to hear that your ear is getting better. This is a tough time for you but I can see that you are doing better than before. Stay strong and lots of love,

Jo

(April 10, 2008 - 1:58 pm)

K and Jeff,

Thanks so much for your words of support. I’m keeping my fingers crossed too.

Mia

(April 10, 2008 - 8:00 pm)

Carrie, the important thing is that it is finally being properly treated. Sometimes Western doctors overlook things and just give your something to get you out of the office. But don’t feel bad about no more loud music and such. I have always found that loud music and noises bother me.

(April 11, 2008 - 5:03 am)

Jo,
    I couldn’t keep a positive attitude if I didn’t have your shoulder to cry on when I need to. Hearing your voice always calms me down.

(April 11, 2008 - 5:09 am)

Mia,

I’m happy I’ve finally been diagnosed after all these years. Despite how annoying it is to be at the doctor’s office every three or four days, I feel like I’m being treated really well. I know they’re keeping a close eye on me. Back home in Canada, I’d get sick and I’d get two weeks worth of medicine and then I wouldn’t see the doctor until I got sick again. I like the system here, even though it messes with my week.