Churches and Places of Worship around the World

One of the things I love about travel are the places of worship that we visit. I’m not spiritual by any means, but I do find an enormous amount of peace and calm whenever my husband and I seek out various religious structures in the places that we visit. It’s like our unspoken rule of hitting every major skyscraper we can or how we always make sure we do two things off of each other’s travel wish list. That’s just what we do when we travel.

These are some of the places of worship around the world (churches, cathedrals, synagoges, temples and mosques) that we’ve visited in the last eight years. They’re all my images, by the way.

Kota Kinabalu City Mosque

St Paul's Cathedral in Wimborne

Church in Copenhagen, Denmark

A pagoda at Gyeongbuk Palace, Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea - Gyeongbok Palace

Makung Daoist Temple, Penghu, Taiwan

Makung Temple

A decimated local temple in a small village in the mountains of Northern Laos. This place wasn’t even on the map.

Sitting Giant

Immaculata Cathedral, Puerto Princesa, Philippines

Immaculata Cathedral

St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, England

St Paul's Cathedral

San Sebastian Steel Cathedral, Manila Philippines

Cathedral in Paris, France

A Twin-Spired Church in Amsterdam

Georgian Orthodox Church in Sighnaghi, Georgia

Georgian Orthodox Church, Sighnaghi, Georgia

Metheki Church, Tbsili, Georgia

Metheki Church, Tsiblisi, Georgia

Steven Crook says:

Beautiful images!
Have you ever been to the Catholic church in Shenshan, Wutai, Pingtung County? The exterior isn’t special, but the inside is.

Carrie says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much. I haven’t been, but it’s on my list now. :-)

Ana says:

I love the style of really old Christian churches…especially Georgian and Armenian ones. They have a feeling of mystique which I find quite alluring.

Carrie says:

Me too, Ana. I don’t think I’ve seen any other church quite like the ones found in Georgia. They’re really, really beautiful.

Michael says:

I’ve been to Immaculata Cathedral, Puerto Princesa in the Philippines. The church is very good for worship. Everyone must try how it is like being there.

Carrie says:

Hi Michael,

It is a beautiful church, isn’t it? There were loads of people there every time we drove by.

Mike says:

The churches in every travel spot should never missed. It’s one way of discovering the culture of every place. It’s also one way of thanking god for good life and chances to travel.

Margyle says:

I remember when I went into a Japanese temple for the first time and was blown away by its serenity. Then I went to Thailand and… well… incredible as well but is kinda tacky compared to the simplicity of those in Japan – except Ginkakuji…. which is kinda showy lol.

Places of worship are some of my favourite places to visit! Great post!

Carrie says:

Thanks, Margyle. It’s interesting to read people’s perspective here. I love Japanese temples, but I’m a huge fan of the golden Buddha temples in Thailand as well. I think my favorite place of worship to date are the churches and cathedrals in Georgia, Eastern Europe. Those places blew me away!

JoAnna says:

I love how eclectic different places of worship around the world look. I enjoy taking pictures of them as well, though sometimes I want to take photos where I know I really shouldn’t because of the sacred space.

Carrie says:

I am mindful of that as well, Joanna. I very rarely take shots indoors, but I think outdoor shots are more than acceptable if you’re not bothering anyone. I have, on occasion, taken indoor shots with permission, but that’s an entirely different post. :-)

Hogga says:

Some of the best buildings I’ve ever seen. Say what you want about religion, it does inspire incredible architecture!

Carrie says:

I agree! Thanks for dropping by, Lindsay.

Ava Apollo says:

Gorgeous photos, although I’ve come to expect nothing less from you.

Carrie says:

Awww, shucks. I’m blushing.

Karl K. says:

Beautiful pictures, Carrie! The only one I’ve actually visited was The Golden Pavilion Temple, Kyoto, Japan.

Carrie says:

Hi Karl,

Thanks for dropping by. The Golden Pavilion is one of my favorites on this list. It hadn’t occurred to me how many places we’ve actually been to until I wrote this post. It was a bit of an eye-opener!