Photo Essay: Ximending, Taipei, Taiwan

January has been a busy month. I’ve spent the last three weeks running around Taipei on assignment for Unearthing Asia. I’ve put together two articles for their next issue, including photography. Writing the articles was the easy part of this assignment. The photography took a bit more effort because I had so many things that I needed to cover. It’s been a great excuse to go out and do something that I never seem to have a lot of free time for anymore – photography.

Two weekends ago, I met up with Craig Ferguson and his wife, Selena. We spent some time wandering around Ximending on our own mini-photowalk. Here are some of the images from that night. This is why I love Ximending.

Taiwanese Sausage

Yummy sweet sausages. Taiwanese sausages generally contain coarsely chopped pork and chunks of fat. I know, it sounds disgusting, but they are actually very good.

Observers in Ximending

Ximending is a gathering place for people of all ages. It’s always busy, but things really start to get going between 6-7pm when people start showing up for the free street performances. You definitely have to get there early if you want a seat.

This is who everyone was waiting for. These ladies get all dolled up and put on a terrific vocal performance.

Street Performers

Fruit Stand

Street Vendor Stand on Wheels

Cute Trinkets

19 thoughts on “Photo Essay: Ximending, Taipei, Taiwan

Katie, Tripbase

(January 25, 2010 - 10:17 am)

Awesome pics!

(January 26, 2010 - 7:22 am)

Katie, Susan, and Nancy,
      I’m glad you like them. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Liz,
      These were taken with an ISO speed of 800 and an f-stop of 5.6. Thank you for the compliment!

Susan, DesignDestinations

(January 25, 2010 - 11:37 pm)

Wow, I think your photos are excellent. Takes me right there. Great eye for detail.

Travelogged

(January 26, 2010 - 3:43 am)

I love your photos! What ISO speed did you use?

Nancy D. Brown

(January 26, 2010 - 3:59 am)

Nice pictures. Interesting food carts. Thanks for sharing.

[…] more information on Taiwan’s night markets, please visit My Several Worlds. SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "5 Unusual Taiwanese Night Market Snacks", url: […]

Happytimeblog

(January 26, 2010 - 8:58 am)

Great pictures Carrie! I’ve never really considered Taiwan as a destination on my list but these pics really get catch my eye!
    .-= Happytimeblog´s last blog ..How To Make Money while you Travel =-.

(January 26, 2010 - 9:14 am)

Hi Aaron,

Well, that’s the whole idea. Taiwan is a great travel destination that is often overlooked by most travelers. It doesn’t help that the tourism bureau still hasn’t figured out how to draw an international crowd. They don’t do a very good job of showcasing what a beautiful island this is. 🙂

Jason of Two Backpackers

(January 26, 2010 - 1:21 pm)

Carrie, those are some excellent, colorful photos of food! The sausages make my mouth water.
    .-= Jason of Two Backpackers´s last blog ..Colombia Riot Police Tear-Gas Protesters – Short Clip 2 =-.

(January 26, 2010 - 1:53 pm)

Thanks Jason!

Erica

(January 26, 2010 - 7:29 pm)

I just checked out the website of Unearthing Asia. Haven’t heard about this site/publication before. Will we be able to read your pieces online? Hope so!
    .-= Erica ´s last blog ..Music That Makes Me Happy: Run Away =-.

(January 28, 2010 - 9:02 am)

The web site and the magazine are quite different. I will be contributing a few articles online in the future, but the work that I have done for them thus far have been travel articles and editing work.

Esther

(February 5, 2010 - 10:49 am)

Great photos! You really did a good job capturing the essence of the city. I look forward to seeing more!
    .-= Esther´s last blog ..Octopus Card for Hong Kong Subway =-.

(February 23, 2010 - 12:33 am)

Hi Esther,
      Thank you! It’s always nice to read such positive comments about my photogrqphy.

Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences

(February 7, 2010 - 9:03 pm)

LOVE these. I like how you managed to tell a story in sort of a timeline. Really lovely.
    .-= Andy Hayes | Sharing Travel Experiences´s last blog ..Travel Where You Want =-.

My Kafkaesque Life

(March 8, 2010 - 3:18 pm)

Wow, great pics. I’ve just posted some photos from Ximending few days ago. It’s really an amazing place, whole Taiwan is amazing. I’m only 3 weeks here and I can’t seem to get enough of sight seeing 🙂 Just been to Yingge and Taichung recently, it was fun 🙂
    .-= My Kafkaesque Life´s last blog ..A Taipei tale over coffee =-.

(March 18, 2010 - 1:40 pm)

Thanks for stopping by. I’m glad you like the photos. I’ve been here for over four years and I still love sightseeing. There’s always something new to discover in Taiwan.

Maria

(November 17, 2011 - 10:04 pm)

Delicious photos! Glad I Stumbled Upon your blog;) Will be back soon!

Brandon @ Green Global Travel

(March 30, 2015 - 5:12 am)

That food looks absolutely incredible. Those sausages look insane. Thanks for sharing this post.