Singapore Airlines: There’s No Other Way To Fly

singapore45,000 feet above the South China Sea is as close as John and I have been to heaven on an airplane, especially when we’re flying with Singapore Airlines. I’m talking about sheer comfort and class aboard an airplane.

There’s a reason why Singapore Airlines was ranked 33rd this year in Fortune’s World Most Admired Companies in 2009. It’s an airline that has excelled in safety, service, and innovation for years and is well-known amongst travel enthusiasts as being the very best of the best. We wholeheartedly agree.

This was our first experience flying with Singapore Airlines. Our business class tickets on Singapore Airlines were purchased with our air miles. We didn’t spend a cent. Check out Fly For Free With Air Miles if you’re interested in finding out how we did it.

Mixed Meat SataySeafood Salad

Mixed Satay Appetizer and Seafood Salad

We each enjoyed a spacious fully reclining and adjustable seat, personal television, in-seat power supply, and USB port. From Taiwan’s KrisFlyer lounge to Singapore’s Changi International Airport, John and I were pampered with food, entertainment and the ever-charming demeanor of the airline’s famous Singapore Girls.

The airline serves gourmet cuisine in all three classes. We enjoyed a full five course meal, which kept us preoccupied for the duration of our short flight. However, we still managed to take full advantage of the complimentary Singapore Slings and the in-flight entertainment system, KrisWorld. Introduced in 1997, Krisworld offers on-demand movies, free language lessons, audio, and Nintendo games in all classes. All in all, we were really happy with our journey on Singapore Airlines. In our opinion, flying doesn’t get much better than this.

Steak and Veg Vanilla Ice Cream with Homemade Mango Sauce

Our main entree was steak with roasted vegetables, with vanilla ice cream and fresh mango sauce for dessert.

Wine and Cheese

Finally, an assortment of cheese, grapes, and wine. The staff came pretty close to having to roll us off the plane.

19 thoughts on “Singapore Airlines: There’s No Other Way To Fly

andygeog

(July 7, 2009 - 8:07 pm)

I’m flying to Singapore & Australia (and back to UK) on the A380 business class this year with Singapore Airlines.

I must say (and I’m sorry if this is somewhat unclassy), I am so excited a little bit of wee has come out.

Can’t wait!

Andy

(July 11, 2009 - 3:35 pm)

Hi Andy,
      You’re in for a treat. I’m expecting a full update on your site! Good luck with your upcoming travels. It sounds like you’ve got a pretty amazing trip planned out.

Craig Ferguson

(July 8, 2009 - 2:19 am)

Singapore Airlines are great. I’ve done the Sydney-Singapore-Bangkok flight with them a couple of times (in economy/coach) and it’s always been good. Much better than BA on the same route (actually it was Syd-Bkk). Even better, SQ are usually the cheapest airline flying from Aust to SE Asia.

(July 11, 2009 - 3:36 pm)

Hi Craig,
      Even economy is classy. I certainly wouldn’t complain if I were flying back home to Canada with Singapore Airlines.

Steve

(July 8, 2009 - 3:47 am)

Great stuff, Carrie. It sounds like quite the flight. I flew with Qatar Air in January from Hong Kong to London. Even in economy it was an amazing experience. Airlines outside of North America seem to have much better service.

(July 11, 2009 - 3:36 pm)

Yeah, I’ve heard that Qatar Air is really good. How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

Nomadic Matt

(July 8, 2009 - 4:06 am)

finally! i’ve been waiting months for this post! and airline food that looks like real food! wow. heaven.

must…get…elite…flight..status…asap

(July 11, 2009 - 3:39 pm)

Hey Matt,
      Yeah, I’m terrible and I know it. But at least I didn’t forget. I was going to snap some more pictures, but as you can see, I got distracted by Singapore Slings, food and entertainment.

Todd

(July 8, 2009 - 12:03 pm)

What a spectacular meal!

Anil

(July 8, 2009 - 12:08 pm)

Cathay Pacific is great too – the Asian airlines know how to do business class.

Simone

(July 8, 2009 - 1:38 pm)

What a wonderful trip you have.
    The food makes me hungry now!!!!
    I want to go there, toooooooooooooo. ^^

abraxis

(July 8, 2009 - 8:58 pm)

I do the SIN-TPE run regularly. The service and food in C never fails to amaze. I know I’m going to be well fed the moment the satay appetizers show up. The ONLY time I will have a Silver Kris/Singapore Sling is on an SQ flight. Think I’d be too embarrassed to ask for one anywhere else…

And yes, I too cash in air miles for these trips. Good deal!

andygeog

(July 13, 2009 - 7:46 am)

Thanks Carrie,

I’m not one of these business class flyers who conform to the notion of ‘sit quietly and remain nonchalant’. I’ll be taking loads of pictures and will have experienced the full range of A380 seat movements before we’ve even left the jetbridge at Heathrow airport!

I must make sure to document it before the SIngapore Slings hit me.

Andy

(July 15, 2009 - 1:29 am)

I’m looking forward to your review, Andy. That must be where I went wrong – I’m blaming it all on the slings! 🙂

Erica

(July 14, 2009 - 3:11 pm)

Wow! I know exactly what airline I want to fly with next! Thanks for this.

(July 15, 2009 - 1:30 am)

Yep. We’ll definitely be using Singapore Airlines more often from now on.

Bilety

(July 24, 2009 - 11:02 am)

Being in the travel industry myself I must say that indeed Singapore Airlines are one of my favourties – probably after Qatar Airlines. Food great and of course who would forget the Singapore Sling readily available in all flights. Upon arriving the destination, announcement of gates for connecting flights were flashed in the individual LCD’s which makes the passenger aware where to proceed makes traveling a breeze.

Fili An

(September 2, 2009 - 10:05 am)

Damn. How come I never get anything from my travel points?

=jealous=
    .-= Fili An´s last blog ..The International Student Experience in Hong Kong (& HKUST) =-.

(September 4, 2009 - 1:33 am)

Fili,
      🙂 It just means you’ll have to travel more. Can’t you collect points? You just came back from a mega-trip, didn’t you?