Hang Song Sot Cave Exploring in Northern Vietnam

Forbidden Light

A magical travel moment:  A pure beam of white light appeared before our eyes in the dim darkness of Hang Sung Sot, a vast mountain cave that winds its way through a few immense chambers before exiting out onto a narrow walkway that lends an unprecedented view of Halong Bay.

Hang Song Sot (Surprising Cave) in Halong Bay, Vietnam lives up to its name of being the biggest, the most popular and most beautiful cave system to wander through in Vietnam.  We rented a private junk boat to explore Halong Bay’s limestone islands, which are studded with caves.  Most of these caves are accessible by charter or tour boat.

Sunset on Halong Bay

16 thoughts on “Hang Song Sot Cave Exploring in Northern Vietnam

1. Krzysztof

Both pictures are superb. I like the first especially. You caught an amazing moment. I like this incredible game of light and shadow.

2. Carrie Post author

Hi K,
    What an awesome comment! The first one is my favorite too. I just stopped by your Flickr photo stream today. You’ve got some great stuff happening there. Well-done!

3. Krzysztof

Thank you 🙂 In my opinion I’ve got few good photos. I use canon powershot a-95 so far and I still dream about change. Maybe next year I’ll buy a new camera. Probably it will be canon eos 450d.

4. Pingback: Ha-Long » Hanoi & Halong Bay 4D3N

5. Carrie Post author

Hi Erica,

Thank you! I’m really glad you dropped by and commented because now I can let my readers know how much I like your site! 🙂
    I know with your love of travel that you will make it to Vietnam some day. I hope it’s sooner rather than later!

6. Brunty

Hi Carrie. I haven’t dropped by in a little while and I have really been missing out. Top quality site, amazing pictures and reporting to boot. I am always floored by your pictures they just capture your attention.

I would have loved to have been at the BBQ with MJ and all. Great pictures and excellent food. Looked like a really good night.

I look forward to doing some catching up reading.

Brunty

7. Carrie Post author

Hi Brunty,
    It’s good to hear from you. I’ve recently moved my blogroll over to a link page and just discovered that your link went missing! I apologize for that and I’ve added you again. Thanks for your kind compliments. I’ve been so busy, I haven’t had much time for blogging lately. My new camera is part of the problem. I’m too busy playing around with it to blog as often as before.

You would be a most welcome addition to our BBQ’s. When are you coming to Taiwan for a visit?

8. Carrie Post author

The second photo was taken from the roof of our junk boat. Halong Bay at sunset is out-of-this-world. The mountains seem to shrink and grow as they go in and out of the shadows. John and I could’ve stayed out there forever.