The Temples of Phu Si Hill in Luang Prabang, Laos

Phu Si Chedi

One of the many wonderful things about Luang Prabang is its proximity to everything. A traveler doesn’t need to look far to find things to do in this beautiful little town. The northern hillside slope of Phu Si is just across the street from the Royal Palace Museum.

The routes meandering throughout Phu Si boast magnificent temples and shrines. The summit of the 100m hill site hosts some of the oldest temples in town, and also provide a bird’s eye view of the town of Luang Prabang, nestled in the bosom of the surrounding mountain range.

That Chomsi stands at the summit. It’s 24m structure is visible from the town at ground-level. Once you have reached the chedi, you can continue down over the other side of the hill along a beautifully bricked pathway that leads you among fragrant frangipani and hibiscus blooms. The entire hillside has quiet, sheltered areas for worshipers.

Most of the hill side has been recently reconstructed and a fee of $1 US is required to climb the hill.

Offerings

Along the Mekong

Birds

Blown Away

Sleeping Buddha and Gecko

Quiet Worshipping

Sacred Naga

Frangipani

19 thoughts on “The Temples of Phu Si Hill in Luang Prabang, Laos

1. Em

Dear Carrie, thank you for your kind words. My best wishes go out to Lisa’s parents and her two older sisters. I hope you are staying warm these days.

2. globetrotteri

Jeff,

Laos is one of my favorite countries to date. The people are warm and hospitable and the scenery is breathtaking. I can’t wait to go back.

3. jorees

Wow Carrie! These photos are absolutely breathtaking! You are so talented and Laos looks so peaceful and stunning. It constantly amazes me to learn about how much you have seen and discovered in this world.

4. globetrotteri

Rome,

I don’t live in Laos. I live in Taiwan. I moved to Asia five years ago because I wanted to teach English as a Second Language. I lived in China for three years before moving to Taiwan with my fiance. We both love to travel. Living this lifestyle allows us to do so. We went to Laos last May for two weeks. It wasn’t nearly enough time and I’m aching to go back to this beautiful country.

5. globetrotteri

Craig and Joanna,

Thanks very much for your compliments and for letting me know which pictures you like the best. I feel that my photography has grown quite a bit over the last year and I still have so much to learn. Your sites are a continuing source of inspiration and wonder for me.

6. Pingback: The Royal Palace Museum of Luang Prabang, Laos « My Several Worlds

7. Khon Lao

Carrie,

I am impress with all of your photos, they are all amazed to me! I am now learning how to take photo, and I wonder what equipment do you use to produce these bautiful pictures.

Khon Lao

8. Carrie Post author

Hi Khon,
    Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been traveling. Believe it or not, these photos were taken with my Canon IXUS point and shoot. Since then, I’ve gotten into the world of SLR and purchased a Canon Digital Rebel, which I’m enjoying very much. Thanks for your comments and for stopping by.

9. Paul Many

Hi Carrie,
    Thanks for taking these wonderful pictures. I used to live next to the king’s palace and accross the street from Phou Si. I left Luang Prabang in 1975, and I have not gone back to my country. These pictures bring me so many wonderful memories when I was a child. You are very, very blessed to be able to see many countries in the world. When I was in Laos, many friends of mine graduated from highschool and went on to study in Taipei. My father was from China. I have heard many wonderful things about Taiwan and its people.
    Teaching is an honorable job in Asia. Your students will always respect and remember you for ever.
    Good luck and take care.

• Carrie Post author

Hi Paul,

Thanks for stopping by. You’re a new reader, aren’t you? You must miss Laos terribly. I’m glad I was able to bring back some fond childhood memories of your time there. It’s such a beautiful place! Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to write.