Tokyo Fashion Police: What’s Wrong With This Picture # 2

This guy was by far the most interesting looking person we’ve seen on our travels and he was more than happy to oblige when we asked for a picture.

There’s so much going I totally missed the peak-a-boo nipples until I looked at the picture when we got home. I was too busy gazing with mystification at the live fish swimming in his fishbowl earrings. And the cut-off doll’s head on his hat is just plain creepy.

Again though….he’s rockin’ the glasses.

Eh?

Tokyo Fashion Police: What’s Wrong With This Picture? #1

16 thoughts on “Tokyo Fashion Police: What’s Wrong With This Picture # 2

MJ Klein

(November 30, 2007 - 1:44 am)

creepy how both of them have waist bags. wonder what they keep in them?

Mark Forman

(November 30, 2007 - 4:34 am)

Carrie-so loving this series on these lovable Japanese oddballs. Making me want to jump around and shout for cocoa puffs.

drunk american

(November 30, 2007 - 3:04 am)

i am almost sorry now to have stumbled across your blog. yesterday, the world made sense to me but no more today.

i just don’t get this.

but heaven forfend if they should ever start exporting this madness. and should a child ever ask me what a registered sex offender looks like, i hope you don’t mind if i point them to this picture of yours…

cfimages

(November 30, 2007 - 1:05 pm)

I’m sure we’ll see that fashion on the streets on Ximending soon.

fightingwindmills

(December 1, 2007 - 1:31 am)

. . . yesterday, the world made sense to me but no more today . . .
    LOLLLLLLLLLLL! Yes, that’s why going to Japan is a life-changing experience for anyone who gets the chance.

Brian

(December 1, 2007 - 3:28 am)

Oh. My. GOD!

There are many things you have never thought could have happen and this guy just proved that reality is as real as it can get. I hope I won’t be seeing him or someone else with a similar sense of fashion.

globetrotteri

(December 1, 2007 - 12:26 am)

MJ,
    I don’t know and I don’t want to know.

globetrotteri

(December 1, 2007 - 12:29 am)

Hey DA,

Thanks for stopping by again. I figure the madness is already there. Just take a look at some of the kids on our streets today. We’ve got punks, rockers and goths too. We’ve also got oddball bag ladies and other crazies out there. I gotta say, although he’s a wonder to behold, I gotta give him credit for going all out there. It’s kinda cool don’t you think?

drunk american

(December 1, 2007 - 5:16 am)

i thought it was funny at first… for such an eccentric man. but then when you mentioned the peek-a-boo nipples, that was just very unsettling. and you are right about about the crazies here, but i haven’t seen anything that has shocked my sensibilities as this guy does. i guess the other disturbing thing is his age…

as an ethnic korean myself, there is something i just don’t understand about east-asian culture that i have noticed and that is how guys (specifically korean guys) try to look more delicate or effeminate. and korean girls seem to like that…

the earlier picture of that musician with the bow in his hair really epitomizes that. but i also have a cousin in law who looks very womanly. he once told me in college (he went to school in the states) that he passed two guys and he heard one of them say “she’s got a cute ass” and my cousin looks around to see no one else around them.

so later when he told me that story, i had to explain it to him that those guys were probably talking about him. i thought that was hilarious. i guess my own expectations and stereotypes of asians is that they ought to be more reserved and dignified in their manner and dress.

but then east-asians have grown up with such a rigid system of social conformity that they might really have to go all out to make a personal statement.

i just don’t know… thanks for posting these pictures though. here in america, the joke is that it is always the japanese taking the pictures. i wonder if the inverse in true in japan…

roam2rome

(December 2, 2007 - 11:34 am)

Oh my goodness! Colorful and eccentric sights follow you no matter where you go, I’m sure. But this might top them all! Don’t you think? Hehe… too funny 😉

milk

(April 16, 2008 - 6:03 am)

i have to admire this man. only east asians can get away with this kind of ensemble

ZQ | Travel Blog

(August 10, 2009 - 3:49 pm)

That’s creepy… He is indeed brave to wear such a hat outdoors 🙂

ZQ

(August 21, 2009 - 10:13 am)

LOL. Only in Japan.

Hiroshi Tracy

(November 18, 2010 - 8:45 am)

He is world famous artist, Eijiro Miyama.

It was natural that you surprised for his appearance.
    He is calm and friendly person.
    You were lucky for talking with him.

(November 23, 2010 - 1:06 am)

Hiroshi Tracy,

UM. You are awesome! Thanks so much for making that connection for me. I feel really honored to have met Eijiro Miyama in person!

Hiroshi Tracy

(November 25, 2010 - 5:08 am)

Hello Carrie-san
    Thank you for answer. Eijiro-san is a good neighbor in Yokohama Japan. He is the great artist. Why? He has made up his mind, how he spends the rest of life. Which is better? Sitting in a dark and small room without a friend to talk.
    Or marching on the street with putting on a overdecollated hat.
    You know which he choosed.
    Now he has many friends all over the world.
    He makes everyone happy. That is his only wish.
    He has created his new life.
    It is the greatest art I’ve ever known.
    Art is not only paints or sculptures.
    “How to spend a life” is art too.

Please visit Yokohama, Japan.
    When and Where will Eijiro-san be?
    I don’t know, only Eijiro-san knows.

Eijiro-san has gone on this page.
    Please come back again.