A Day at the Beach in Kenting National Park in Taiwan

John and I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Kenting National Park over the long weekend. We were on the go 24/7 and we’re absolutely bushed. I couldn’t resist posting these beach pictures though.

Our day at the beach in Kenting wasn’t all sunshine and blistering hot sun. It was interspersed with brief spurts of heavy rain and long sweeping cloud lines which made the beach all the more interesting for beach lovers like myself. We had a fantastic time.

Kenting Beach

There were loads of beach lovers on the beach, despite the heavy, grey rainclouds overhead.

Lizard Friend

John found a little friend almost immediately and commenced to scare the living daylights out of everyone. We were told we would be leaving our mountain cabin the night before because there were too many geckos. I wish John had found his little buddy a little earlier.

John and his Gecko

I’m still amazed at what my little Canon Point and Shoot can do.

Kids in the Sand

Some kids playing in the sand.

Umbrella Party

Umbrella parties ran the length of the beach when it started to rain.

Party Under the Umbrella

How many people can fit under a large beach umbrella? We think twelve is the magic number.

John and I

Me and my guy.

Kanoodling

Pipes.

Wave Time

Having fun in the waves.

Diggin' a Hole

We had fun digging a hole for little Jeannie.

Get Me Outta Here!

She didn’t like it so much though….

Xiao Ji

Xiao Ji, Carol and Gavin’s daughter is the absolute cutest 2 year old in Taiwan.

7 thoughts on “A Day at the Beach in Kenting National Park in Taiwan

jorees

(September 26, 2007 - 9:05 am)

Kenting must have been a lot of fun Carrie. The overcast sky give your photos some great light. The photo of everyone standing under the umbrella at the beach is my favorite.

Thoth Harris

(September 26, 2007 - 12:30 pm)

Why are Taiwanese bystanders, particularly children, always afraid/disgusted/appalled by anything like bugs, snakes, geckoes, etc. Actually, I can understand about the flying ants and cockroaches (except for the cruelty I’ve seen). But geckoes and spiders? They are so useful and cute, too!

globetrotteri

(September 26, 2007 - 10:52 pm)

Thanks Jo. There’s something to be said for stormy skies. I like the first photo of the beach. The skies were eerie that day.

globetrotteri

(September 26, 2007 - 10:56 pm)

I don’t get it either. No one ever displays angst over cockroaches. Maybe it’s because they’re everywhere. I’d much rather have a gecko or spider in my room than a cockroach.

However, I was impressed with everyone’s reaction once John showed them there’s nothing to be afraid of. We only had one friend run away. The rest were happy to hold the little guy for a while.

travelswithsandy

(September 28, 2007 - 2:53 am)

Looks like a fun time! How’s the water in Kenting? I have heard that no one goes in the water, but I am wondering if this is because a lot of Taiwanese can’t swim or if there is some other reason like jellyfish.

I hate cockroaches and spiders! I guess I would be willing to touch a gecko if I knew it was harmless.

Sarah (the lemonspank)

(September 29, 2007 - 5:26 am)

What a little cutie! The lizard I mean…not you, John, the little toddler…haha

globetrotteri

(September 28, 2007 - 10:56 pm)

The water was fine, but the rocks just off shore make swimming a little dangerous. Plenty of folks were eager to hop on banana boats and tubes to wage battle against the waves.