Our Seven Wonders and a few wonders of my own…

14 thoughts on “Our Seven Wonders and a few wonders of my own…

1. globetrotteri

Yeah. I didn’t really agree with the Christ Redeemer either. I’m guessing that they took location into consideration. China, for example, could have had two on the list with the Great Wall and The Terracotta Warriors.

If you look at the old map of the seven wonders of the world, you’ll notice that most of the ancient wonders were all centered around the Middle East.

Perhaps they were trying to spread everything out a little. However, I felt there were far more note-worthy options. Although beautiful, Christ the Redeemer is a relatively new addition to our world of wonders.

2. ez

It was built in 1931, quite modern. It can cause some wonder maybe within a village, certainly not the world!! The Brazilian president is making fun of his own country.

3. jorees

This post makes me want to travel and I love your pictures Carrie. Machu Picchu, Peru is a place I have always wanted to visit.

4. Tetsuo

Good going, buying into what is nothing more than a bloated marketing exercise. This is why we can’t have nice things – because the public are too stupid to see when they’re being fed a line of shit.

5. globetrotteri

Thanks Jo. I’m itching to go to Machu Picchu as well. In fact, this whole Seven Wonders of the World deal has me wanting to travel and we haven’t even been home for a week! 🙂

6. globetrotteri

Tetsuo,

Perhaps I’m missing something. I’m not really sure what you mean by your comment. What ‘line of shit’ are you refering to?

Although people might not agree with all seven of the new Wonders of the World, they are still something that we should all be proud of.

7. knitplaywithfire

I don’t see Rio as a Wonder of the World. Yes, the idea has been around since the 1850s, the statue isn’t even a 100 years old. Everything else on the list has stood the test of time. There should have been no problems with China having two spots in the list. (South America is on there twice with Peru and Brazil.)

8. elkadio

How far will business people go to create new shady business schemes to achieve their financial and other goals? This is the real wonder of the world we live in today.

Fooling the “mob” by the million must be the new “gift of the Internet” to such business absurdity and for business people play with world heritage to benefit the few.

On the other hands, this is how business people of some kind live and we may excuse them, but for governments of some of the developing nations to aggressively take part in this business fiasco and queue their citizen free of charge to vote in favour of their own monuments, is really beyond belief if not truly sad.

By merely being included in such business scheme could on the long run for certain damage the reputation of these newly chosen so called wonders of the world, because this is the natural destiny for any flowed business scheme.

Have you heard or seen any developed nation’s government like the USA, United Kingdom, France, Greece raise any complaint or participate in such a scheme? why? not because these are great nations, not at all… their confidence, calm, long term vision is what made them great in the first place. They are not fooled like the governments of other developing nations into such schemes that will certainly damage these newly selected wonders on the long term.

As for the Great Pyramid of Giza, I don’t believe that it needed any defending by the Egyptian Government whatsoever. The Great Pyramid not only stood the ravages of time for thousands of years by invaders, business people, destroyers, tanks, guns, but also kept its wonder and secrets hidden for eternity. For 10500 years, this great monument refused to disclose to any one as to who build it, how, why and when. I guess this is why it is called the greatest wonder on the planet.

9. andron

I would just like to say I love your list. I don’t know if the statue in Rio was worthy of the acknowlegment and I don’t really care. As long as there are people out there who realize what the real wonders of the world are and don’t buy into the corporate world’s marketing tactics then it doesn’t really matter what they chose. So keep on traveling and have fun.

10. globetrotteri

Hi Andron,
    Wow! Thanks so much for your kind words. I am passionate about traveling. There are so many beautiful places in the world. Sometimes it makes me sad to see the world reduced to lists.

11. Doug

Machu Picchu is a beautiful place; since I arrived I was charmed by its beauty and could learn more about its history and the customs of its habitants. Also, I enjoyed its landscapes and the traditional food that ate in Aguas Calientes. This would not have been possible without the help of the travel agency I hired, TurPeru, which arranged all my tours. I recommend you, its website is http://www.turperu.com.pe